WeBWorK Main Forum

Upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04

Upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04

by Sarunas Burdulis -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,
has anyone upgraded Webwork host OS from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04? Any caveats?

Thanks!

In reply to Sarunas Burdulis

Re: Upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

Take a look at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Installation_Manual_for_2.12_on_Ubuntu_16.04

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Sarunas Burdulis -
Thanks.

While upgrading Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, MySQL is upgraded from 5.5 to 5.7. APT/dpkg fails on mysql-server and mysql-server-5.7 packages, and the only way to proceed was to 'apt-get --purge' all MySQL packages and then 'apt-get install mysql-server' (this was also the case on all other 14.04 server upgrades to 16.04).

Upgrade wreaks havoc on /etc/mysql/ (split files, symlinking, /etc/alternatives). One way might be to move the new /etc/mysql away and restore the one from backup, which worked, except for some options in my.cnf, which are no longer supported:

1) key_buffer is now key_buffer_size;

2) myisam-recover=BACKUP has to be removed.

Another MySQL update a few days later then failed, complaining about missing links to /etc/alternatives. update-alternatives then has to be run to remove all references to my.cnf.

by Danny Glin -
When upgrading MySQL it is always a good idea to dump your database to a file using mysqldump.  In situations where the database gets corrupted during the upgrade it is often easier to restore from a dump file.

by David Hunter -
Caveat: Some of your Perl modules may need to be updated. 14.04 didn't complain about deprecated Perl modules, but 16.04 did. I had to update Mail::Sender.

Also, eth0 is now called ens32. This confused our virtual server.