Installation

Is it possible to set up WW in a way that allows apache to serve non-WW files?

Is it possible to set up WW in a way that allows apache to serve non-WW files?

by Miguel-Angel Manrique -
Number of replies: 2
I am interested in using a VPS to host both WW content and other content (pictures, data, etc). Is there a way to configure the server to do this?

For instance, my server used to host some files intended for my friend Ben. I put those files here: http://reedleywebwork.online/ben/ (and the folder 'ben' is non-empty in /var/www/html) but now the server produces the following error:

PXHQgQO.png

Any advice on this? I would be happy to go read the manual, but which manual would that be?
In reply to Miguel-Angel Manrique

Re: Is it possible to set up WW in a way that allows apache to serve non-WW files?

by Danny Glin -
If you want to serve other content outside of WeBWorK on the same server, you will almost certainly need to set the $webwork_url to something other than the root directory (i.e. ""), with the default being "/webwork2".  If this variable is set as the root directory then WeBWorK will assume that any subdirectory on the web server is a WeBWorK course, and it will intercept all page requests before they get to the /var/www/html directory.

I suspect that this would also solve the javascript issue in your other post.  Setting WeBWorK as the root URL on your server is not particularly well tested, and I suspect may need a lot of attention to get working.  Perhaps others who have made this work can chime in with their experiences.

The easy way to avoid having users have to type /webwork2 at the end of the URL is to set up an automatic redirect on the root page.  Of course if you are using your server for multiple purposes you may want to have the root page be a static landing page with links to WeBWorK and any other content.
In reply to Danny Glin

Re: Is it possible to set up WW in a way that allows apache to serve non-WW files?

by Miguel-Angel Manrique -
Great--I wanted to have an easy URL for my students to remember, and this suggestion accomplishes that.

In fact, I think this suggestion is far more elegant than setting up WW in the root directory!

I will give it all a shot this evening!