WeBWorK Main Forum

Integrating WW with Desire2Learn?

Integrating WW with Desire2Learn?

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Number of replies: 4
Currently my students access WW by opening it up as a new link, to which they have to log in. So I have several questions:
  1. Can I set up WW so that students are automatically logged in (with the details they use to authenticate themselves to D2L) to WW?
  2. In my current setup, WW shows a list of active courses, of which the students choose the one in which they're enrolled. Can I set it up so that students are automatically placed in their course, without them having to choose it from a list?

So really, what I want is for students, once logged in to D2L, can access WW with one click, which then puts them into the right course, and even the current homework set.

(It'd also be nice to integrate WW with the D2L gradebook, but maybe that's a question for another post.)

Any advice on the login issues would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Alasdair

In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

Re: Integrating WW with Desire2Learn?

by Danny Glin -
With WW 2.12, you can use LTI to log students directly into WW from D2L (or any other compliant course management system). See the instructions at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/LTI-Advanced_Authentication_for_D2L.

There was a patch submitted about a month ago which fixes grade passback in D2L, so you can link a WW assignment to a D2L grade item. There still appear to be issues with the scheduled grade sync, but in my case the grade sync on submit appears to be working.

In regard to your second question, is there a 1-1 mapping between your D2L courses and your WW courses? If so, then you simply need to use the correct URL to the corresponding WW course. If not, it may still be possible using release conditions in D2L, but this depends on how your D2L courses are set up.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Thanks Danny - I will upgrade to 2.12 soon (I'll wait until the end of teaching semester first!).

I will also need to get my head round the LTI/LDAP business - or does LTI automatically manage authentication?

Thank you again,
Alasdair
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

by Michael Gage -
LTI does authentication (SSL or single sign on).  The current implementation also does grade passback to a limited extent. Roughly speaking you can only pass one number per link for the grade -- not arrays.

Look at Goehle's posts on http://webwork.maa.org/planet for more details -- and/or search for the relevant pages on LTI on the wiki. 
In reply to Michael Gage

by Danny Glin -
You have the option of letting LTI do all of the authentication (i.e. users can only get to WeBWorK through the LTI link in D2L), or you can have LDAP set up as well, so users can also log directly into WeBWorK. I have our server set up this way, since not all of our courses are linked to a D2L course.