WeBWorK Problems

Warning message: ' "ln" is not defined in this context'

Warning message: ' "ln" is not defined in this context'

by tim Payer -
Number of replies: 3
Greetings,

I have a particular problem that I can not trace regarding a students warning message for not just one, but all instances of the use of the natural log function for this student.

The message returned for this student is:

"ln" is not defined for this context

The problem is that this student gets this message for ANY problem when she uses ln and no other student and no other instructor has this problem.

We even used the seed number for her problem in our attempt to duplicate the message and we had no such glitch.

Math 105 HW 15 for student named bh1012

When we log on as her we can reproduce her error though.
And this is the first section we have had using logs.

Can you help us trouble shoot for a solution?

She is using a chrome Browser, Windows 10.

Thanks, Tim
In reply to tim Payer

Re: Warning message: ' "ln" is not defined in this context'

by Davide Cervone -
One thing to check is whether she is really entering "ln" as an ell and an en. Could it be that the ell is really a one? Or some other unicode character that looks similar? That could certainly cause the type of error you are seeing.

You could check the encoding that she has her browser set to use, and make sure it is not set to something funny.
In reply to Davide Cervone

by tim Payer -
Thank you Davide,

The problem was one of entry, The student was entering a capital "I" with an "n".

We were fooled by the similarity of entries of "In" and "ln" and did not get to the bottom of it until this weekend.

Thanks for the follow-up though.

Sincerely, Tim
In reply to tim Payer

by Davide Cervone -
Yes, I suspected something like that. I didn't think of capitalization, but did think of other letters that looked similar. I wish sans-serif fonts would be able to make the distinction among L, l, and 1, a bit more clear.