Installation

unable to change mysql password

unable to change mysql password

by Ever Barbero -
Number of replies: 2
I finished installing WW2.12 Ubuntu 16.04 Vanilla LiveDVD (64 bit) and even using WebWork locally on my server and everything goes well until I reach this in the instructions "Installing from WW2.12 Ubuntu 16.04 Vanilla LiveDVD"

update mysql.user set password=password('xxxxxx') where host='localhost' and user='webworkWrite';

I get this error
ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'password' in 'field list'

Everything up to that point was perfect.

I have a DELL server with 2-core Xeon 64 bit.
Ubuntu comes with DVD Live at version 16.04.

Please help me!
In reply to Ever Barbero

Re: unable to change mysql password

by Danny Glin -
In my version of mysql (actually MariaDB 5.5), the password column is Password (with a capital P). Try the following:

update mysql.user set Password=password('xxxxxx') where host='localhost' and user='webworkWrite';

Has this changed to a capital P in a recent version of mysql/MariaDB, or is this just a typo in the instructions?
In reply to Ever Barbero

Re: unable to change mysql password

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

In the current version of MySQL the "password" column was renamed "authentication_string".  In the "Installing from WW2.12 Ubuntu 16.04 Vanilla LiveDVD" directions this change was made in the SELECT command
SELECT Host, User, authentication_string FROM mysql.user;
but unfortunately not in the subsequent UPDATE command. This has now been fixed.  Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bringing this to our attention..

Arnie