WeBWorK Problems

One problem missed from a problem set

One problem missed from a problem set

by Edwin Flórez -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,  

in a homework set, one problem from 11 is missed for some students. I checked Edit individual versions of set for those students and I got the error show below. I reviewed the problem missed (Library/UCSB/Stewart5_1_6/Stewart5_1_6_1.pg) and looks OK for me.  

ww_version: 2.11 | pg_version: 2.11 

Thanks in advance. 
Error messages Can't call method "source_file" on an undefined value at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/ProblemSetDetail2.pm line 2370. Call stack The information below can help locate the source of the problem. in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::Instructor::ProblemSetDetail2::body called at line 155 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Template.pm in WeBWorK::Template::template called at line 531 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::content called at line 203 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::go called at line 382 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm
In reply to Edwin Flórez

Re: One problem missed from a problem set

by Danny Glin -
In my experience this type of thing happens when a process dies before it finishes assigning problems to students. In the past I've had success fixing this using the Instructor Tools page (click on "Instructor Tools").

If you highlight all the users, then highlight the relevant assignment and click "Assign", it should add in the missing problems for students. In the past this worked without overwriting any progress students had already made, but I haven't used it in a while on a live assignment, so I would recommend trying it for one students, and verifying that it doesn't delete their progress before doing it for the whole class.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Edwin Flórez -
Thank you, it is my case, few memory therefore I set MaxConnectionsPerChild low. I solved it with your suggestion, I did it for all students on a alive assignment and there was no loss of data.

I was trying to find where the object representing the assignment of each student is, to manually append the problem from the terminal, but I still have not found where those objects are.

Thanks again. 
In reply to Edwin Flórez

by Danny Glin -
It depends what you mean by objects. The data is stored in the database (in the [coursename]_problem_user table). It is retrieved by the WeBWorK code as an object, and then can be modified and written back to the database.

I wouldn't recommend writing directly to the database unless you are very certain of what you are doing. And doing this sort of manipulation using wwsh for example would probably involve writing a lot of custom code.