Installation

Change Hard disk size for initial install

Change Hard disk size for initial install

by Bipin Prakash -
Number of replies: 4
Hi All, I am trying to deploy Webwork from the Vanilla CD. I was able to convert the ova file into VMDK and import it into my VMWare Esxi 5.5 server. It seems however that the hard drive file size is locked at 10 gb and it already has 8gb worth of data. Are folks aware of a work around to get the hard drive size larger? I have tried using VI editor to change the vmdk file properties of the hard drive type from ide to scsi in hopes that I can change the hard drive size. That enabled me to change the hard drive size but the VM then failed to boot. I did not have much luck having booted from a LiveCD of Gparted and trying to extend the partition. It does not show any unallocated space for drive. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, bp
In reply to Bipin Prakash

Re: Change Hard disk size for initial install

by Balagopal Pillai -
You could use a standard resizing tool (like VBoxmanage in virtualbox) for this. I have tried this with virtualbox and vdi and it worked without any issues. Then you would need to extend the partition and then extend the filesystem. One easy alternative would be to not do any resizing, just add a new virtual disk for webwork. Then shutdown apache and mysql. Move /opt/webwork and mysql data to this disk and place any necessary symlinks as necessary and be done with this. May not be as elegant as a successful resize, but is more straight forward.
In reply to Balagopal Pillai

by Bipin Prakash -
Hi,
Thank you for the quick response. We do not have a virtualbox setup. We use VMWare and Microsoft Hyper V for our virtualization. Specifically I am trying to deploy this VM on VMWare and that is where I am running into issues. I am hoping to be able to extend the partition without having to deploy virtualbox.

Regards,
bp
In reply to Bipin Prakash

by Danny Glin -
Have you tried resizing the hard drive from the ESXi web interface? It gives you the option to change the size of the hard drive and also the type.

If you can't get this to work, another alternative is to create a second virtual hard drive, and store all of the WeBWorK data there.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Bipin Prakash -
Hi,
I have tried resizing using the web interface and that did not work either. I could change the value for the hard drive size but it would not save. I tried using gparted live CD and that did not work either. I was however able to resolve the issue. I had to perform a hot migration using the VM standalone converter. I had to make a number of changes to the system before I could get ssh to work as root but once I was able to do that, I was able to get a live copy of the machine exported as a different VM and during the export process was able to change the disk size and disk type as well. It did take over two weeks and a level 2 engineer from VMWare support for me to get to this!