WeBWorK Main Forum

Configuring WeBWorK to contain both LTI courses and non-LTI courses

Configuring WeBWorK to contain both LTI courses and non-LTI courses

by Michael Gage -
Number of replies: 2
Since we seem to have several sites using Canvas and WeBWorK connecting via LTI, I would like to know how you are issuing the LTI requests. Are you using different "secrets" for each course? or just one "secret" to connect Canvas with WeBWorK. How are you configuring WeBWorK to accomplish this?

The connection between Moodle and WeBWorK that I use works differently so I don't have direct experience with this kind of LTI connection.

There have been requests that WeBWorK be able to respond to LTI requests from more than one source and with more than one "secret/password".

I would like to make possible and make it as easy as possible to configure, but I would first like to know what solutions people have already found for this
problem. At least part of this capability is, I believe, already in place. But not necessarily that easy to configure.

Suggestions for how the configuration procedure should work (from the user perspective) are welcome.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Configuring WeBWorK to contain both LTI courses and non-LTI courses

by tim Payer -
Hello 

We too at Humboldt State University have had problems establishing the LTI connection between webwork Canvas. Even with extensive help from Jason Aubrey and having my role updated to an administrator we still have failed 2 semesters running and would surly like to make it work for this Fall.

Is there any chance that this subject might be covered in the Webwork Problem Authoring Session this Summer?

Thanks, Tim
In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Configuring WeBWorK to contain both LTI courses and non-LTI courses

by Michael Fraboni -
I'm connecting Canvas and WeBWorK with a single secret for all courses. We are a small school, and there are really only three or four faculty using WeBWorK in any given semester, so I usually sit down with them and help them set up the LTI connection.

I suppose this is somewhat insecure since professor A could change the url in their Canvas course's LTI connector to point to professor B's WeBWorK course url. Professor A would then be able to access prof B's course at the professor level. Since there are only a few of us using the system though I'm really not worried about that at all.

I suppose if I was worried then I would configure WeBWorK to only auto-create accounts at the student level, then professors would need to log in through WeBWorK directly rather than through Canvas.

Mike