WeBWorK Problems

"Your score was not successfully sent to the LMS" - error appears randomly

"Your score was not successfully sent to the LMS" - error appears randomly

by Aung Linn -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I am setting up LTI integration with Canvas. Everything is working fine except getting this error - "Your score was not successfully sent to the LMS". The error appears randomly from time to time. The grades are updated in LTI when there is no error.

I set $LTIGradeOnSubmit = 1; to update the grades as soon as students answer the questions.

Warning messages
  • Unable to update LMS grade. Error: Unauthorized at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen/LTIAdvanced/SubmitGrade.pm line 283.

This is the Error log from Apache

[/webwork2/Maths_Linna/Angles_homework/19/] Unable to update LMS grade. Error: Unauthorized at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen/LTIAdvanced/SubmitGrade.pm line 283., referer: https://webwork.school.edu/webwork2/Maths_Linna/Angles_homework/19/

Could anyone help what's wrong with this? Thanks.

In reply to Aung Linn

Re: "Your score was not successfully sent to the LMS" - error appears randomly

by Danny Glin -
I have a guess:

When Canvas logs a student in to WeBWorK, it sends a unique identifier for grade passback, so it knows where to put the grade that WeBWorK sends back. It's possible that there are time limits on these, which would mean that if a student is logged in to WeBWorK for too long, Canvas will stop accepting grade passback for that session.

Are you able to test to see if this behaviour only happens after being logged in to WeBWorK for a long time?
In reply to Danny Glin

by Aung Linn -
Hi Danny,

After being logged in to WeBWork for a long time, the WW logged me off and asked me to log in back again.

I tried submitting the answers repeatedly in a short amount of time and the error appeared randomly. mixed It worked like 3 out of 10 times submissions and randomly happened when submitting the answers and updating grades to the Canvas.

LTI Mass updates works ok though. Maybe I should turn off LTIGradeOnSubmit and just make lower LTIMassUpdateInterval as last resort.
In reply to Aung Linn

by Danny Glin -
When you logged back in, was it through Canvas, or by entering your username and password directly into WeBWorK?

It's weird that it is intermittent. I don't have any explanation for that.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Aung Linn -
I used Canvas link to log back into WeBWork. It is quite a strange issue.
In reply to Aung Linn

by Michael Gage -
Which server are you using for moodle and which server for the webwork webservice? Is this local? or are you using the MAA server?

About how many students are using this server? It's possible that using the "submit immediately" with lots of students may overload the system at times.
It is possible to do batch submissions of grades every 20 minutes or so.
In reply to Michael Gage

by Aung Linn -
Thank you for replying Michael. I am using Ubuntu 14.04.2 with apache2 web server.

There were no students using WeBWork when I was testing the system. I am not sure with the total students, I think it will be around 300+ students for this summer term.

I will just stick with 20 minutes batch submissions for now.