WeBWorK Main Forum

Rerandomization after due date

Rerandomization after due date

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 6
Is there any way for students to request a new version of a problem after a homework set has closed? A few of my students have mentioned that they would like this feature for studying purposes: they want to go back and re-do old problems, but when you go back into an old homework set, your last (hopefully correct) answer is still displayed.

To use old homework sets for studying, they'd prefer to start with a clean slate.

In reply to Sean Fitzpatrick

Re: Rerandomization after due date

by Alex Jordan -
Hi Sean,

There is the Show Me Another feature: http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Show_Me_Another

Right now it does not have a way to only become active after the problem set is due. For my courses, I have had no issues with just making it available as liberally as the settings allow, except that I turn it off for individual problems that are of a multiple choice nature.

If you choose not to reveal solutions and answers in the SMA versions of problems, it is unclear to me that having this available prior to a due date would be undesirable. Except maybe if you cap attempts, in which case using SMA before the due date could lead to lots of practice before the actual attempts that count. (I'm unsure here too, if that would be a bad thing pedagogically.)

by Michael Gage -
You can also add "practice" users to the course "practice1, practice2," etc.
(Usually there is a file demoCourse.lst in your course or the modelCourse that allows you to add these 'students'.)

With the reserved name 'practice' and the 'guest' permission level the scores are not usually preserved and students can take a version of the homework set that is not the same as the one they were assigned.

In reply to Michael Gage

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Thanks for the help! I think I'll try Alex's suggestion, since we're using LTI for authentication.

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Got it to work. One minor downside though: enabling SMA in the course configuration does not apply retroactively to existing homework sets. One then has to go in and reset the configuration for each individual problem.

by Alex Jordan -
It depends if something was written for the SMA attempts threshold in the database when the set was created. If the system default was -1 (never) when the set was created, then that was written into the database for each problem in the assignment, and now you have to make a lot of individual changes. I've been there and sympathize with how tedious it is. If the system default was -2 (use whatever the global value is) then all that tedium would have been avoided.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
OK, thanks!
Sounds like I'd better make a note to myself to make that change in localOverrides.conf