WeBWorK Main Forum

Modifying and extending perl modules in pg

Modifying and extending perl modules in pg

by Balagopal Pillai -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

A professor using our webwork server would like to
extend and modify perl modules in pg/lib directory for better
linear algebra support. But since this server hosts many current large webwork courses, it is not possible to provide write access to those files. I was wondering if it would be possible to allow this within a course without affecting any other courses. Thanks a lot.

Balagopal
In reply to Balagopal Pillai

Re: Modifying and extending perl modules in pg

by Michael Gage -
I don't think that is possible. In any case because the pg code is mostly run in a Safe compartment (to prevent execution of damaging perl code) it is not that straight forward to add a CPAN perl module for use in rendering a problem.

You can ask the professor to get in touch with me. (gage@math.rochester.edu) I'm teaching a linear optimization course this semester (simplex method) and using a fair amount of linear algebra so at the moment I'm in a position to listen to feature requests although I may or may not be able to implement them quickly. I may have some ideas for accomplishing what they have in mind with the tools that are already available.

Just allowing the CPAN modules to execute safely is something of a challenge but in addition we will want to make them play nicely with MathObjects -- and that can take some time and some thought about what is REALLY desired. We're still working on smoothing out the interface between MathObjects and the CPAN RealMatrix module.
In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Modifying and extending perl modules in pg

by Balagopal Pillai -
Thanks a lot Michael. I will request the professor to get in touch with you.

Regards
Balagopal