WeBWorK Problems

turning off student ability to answer selected questions in set

turning off student ability to answer selected questions in set

by Zak Zarychta -
Number of replies: 4
Is there any possible way that one can create a homework set and selectively turn of the students ability to electronically answer multiple choice questions (MCQ's), extended matching questions (EMQ's), true/false questions (T/FQ's) in the question set whilst letting them able to answer questions that require a numerical answer?

Failing that, does anyone have a suggestion for a possible approach to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Zak
In reply to Zak Zarychta

Re: turning off student ability to answer selected questions in set

by Zak Zarychta -
I can see commenting out the answer evaluator will do this. Is there anyway to suppress the resulting warnings?
In reply to Zak Zarychta

by Michael Gage -
Have you looked at the auto_right() answer evaluator described at

that's available in all WeBWorK installations if you load PGasu.pl

Alternatively you could create a near duplicate that marked all those
questions wrong.

Is this the sort of thing that would help you accomplish what you are after?

--mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Zak Zarychta -
yes! that'll work.

Up to now I've been using WeBWorK in a purely formative sense. It has proved useful in identifying poor engagement among students.

Due to past issues of collusion I am now also usng WW for summative assessment.

The summatively assessed problem set consists of a mix of select an answer questions (SAQ's) (ie MCQ's, EMQ's and True/False Q's), calculable questions, 'show that' questions and 'including a diagram explain' questions. Given the last two types students must submit a hand written copy showing their working.

Given the summative nature of the assessment I wish to remove the option of students identifying answers in the SAQ's but at the same time give them the option to check their answers in the calculable problems before submission.

My idea (vain hope?) is that this will provide a non threatening high reward environment and that it may motivate them to start early and seek assistance if they electronically attempt the question incorrectly.

I'm not sure of future development plans for WeBWorK but what might be really neat is that if students could submit a file (tex, jpeg, pdf) in answer to a question that could be graded by hand similarly to an essay question.

Regardless of the future development pans for WeBWorK, presently thanks very much for getting back so quickly and the help.

Zak

In reply to Zak Zarychta

by Danny Glin -
Another option is to put the SAQs into a gateway quiz, and set both "Show Scores on Finished Assignment?" and "Show Problems on Finished Tests" to "Only after set answer date". This way the scores are recorded properly in WeBWorK, but the students don't get any feedback until after the answer date for the homework set.