WeBWorK Main Forum

Hmwk Sets Editor: Problems out of order?

Hmwk Sets Editor: Problems out of order?

by D. Brian Walton -
Number of replies: 2
Working in v 2.12. I opened a problem set that I had just created in Library Browser and found the problems appearing out of order. (See attachment.) Basically, they appeared in the order 3,2,1,4,5,6,…,15. When I looked at actual problems, they are in the right order.

I tried a search in the forums and on bugzilla, but didn't find anything. Maybe I don't know the right terms to use in a search.

Has anyone else seen this? Same behavior on both Chrome and Safari browsers. This is specific to just this one problem set. And when I exported and imported the same problem set, the behavior is not present.

Thanks,
Brian Walton
Attachment ProblemsOutOfOrder.png
In reply to D. Brian Walton

Re: Hmwk Sets Editor: Problems out of order?

by Danny Glin -
I have seen this once. I believe we were already on v. 2.13 at the time.

The behaviour was exactly as you describe, down to it going away after an export and an import.

The instructor who encountered this couldn't think of anything he did differently, and I haven't seen it again since.
In reply to D. Brian Walton

Re: Hmwk Sets Editor: Problems out of order?

by D. Brian Walton -
FYI: This error seems to have been resolved by commit 9c7543c, which I believe is part of the 2.13 upgrade

I did see this again. Although I'm not entirely sure of why, if there was a single defined problem set *and* depending on the order in which problems were added to the set, then the DB call in WW to retrieve the problem IDs for that problem set were returned out of order.

When a second problem set was created and as few as one problem added to that set, the DB call in the first problem set resulted in a *sorted* listing of the problems and they would appear in order. If that second problem set was then deleted, the bad ordering would reappear.

My hunch is that it had something to do with how the information was cached. However, the sort that was added in the commit listed above fixes this.

- Brian