WeBWorK Problems

PGML - extra vertical line at end of line

PGML - extra vertical line at end of line

by Paul Seeburger -
Number of replies: 3
I was reviewing an older course and saw something odd in some problems that use PGML. Perhaps something changed, because these lines were not there the last time I taught this course.

The version of WeBWorK on the server I am using is 2.9, and I believe this is the same version as it was before. I'm on a MacBook and on Chrome.

Here is the code:
BEGIN_PGML
One positive number is [`[$num]`] times another number. If the difference between the two numbers is [`[$diff]`], find the numbers.

a) Use the first sentence to write expressions for the two unknown numbers, given that the first number is [`x`].

*1st #:* [`\quad x`]

*2nd #:* [___________]

b) Enter the equation that represents this situation.

*Equation:* [________________________]

c) Enter the two numbers separated by a comma: [______________].
END_PGML

The output looks like this (I also attached an screen image):
One positive number is 6 times another number. If the difference between the two numbers is 65, find the numbers.

1. Use the first sentence to write expressions for the two unknown numbers, given that the first number is x.

1st #: x|

2nd #:

1. Enter the equation that represents this situation.

Equation:

1. Enter the two numbers separated by a comma: .
Ironically, when I copied and pasted the code it did not display the vertical line, so I had to actually type it in above after I pasted it.

And oddly, there is no vertical bar after the x in the line above. And in fact, some of the problems have similar variables in the same spot with no vertical bar after them.

Perhaps you may also need to know what's been loaded in this file, so here it is:
loadMacros(
"PGstandard.pl",
"MathObjects.pl",
"PGML.pl",
"parserImplicitPlane.pl",
"PGcourse.pl"
);
Attachment Screen_Shot_2018-06-03_at_4.32.22_PM.png
In reply to Paul Seeburger

Re: PGML - extra vertical line at end of line

by Paul Seeburger -
In playing more with it, I see that if I remove the * around the "1st #:", the vertical bar goes away.

But in another problem, I see that the same thing happened to the x in the line above and it has no bolded text around it, so it seems somewhat arbitrary.

Paul
In reply to Paul Seeburger

by Davide Cervone -
If you are using MathJax output, when was the last time you upgraded your copy of MathJax? (What version are you using?)

There was a bug in Chrome that had to be worked around some time ago (back in November 2015) that involved vertical bars at the ends of expressions. This was fixed in version 2.6 of MathJax, so if you are at an earlier version, you definitely should upgrade. The current version is 2.7.4.
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Paul Seeburger -
Thanks, Davide!

I'll see if I can get the hosting institution to do this update! That will likely take care of it.

Paul