WeBWorK Main Forum

reduced credit date

reduced credit date

by Siman Wong -
Number of replies: 4
I'm using WW-2.13 for a multi-section course. After the course chair created the master problem sets and set the due date etc, I exported and the archived all the .def files and necessary local directories. I then uploaded the .tgz files to the individual sections and then import them. But the HWset editor gives me this *warning message*:

The reduced credit date should be between the open date 09/04/2018 at 10:00am EDT and close date 09/14/2018 at 09:00pm EDT at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/ProblemSetList2.pm line 1985, line 13.

(and repeats of this same message, for different dates).

I am able to generate pdf's of every individual problem sets, so I assume that the data files were uploaded correctly (?). When I click course configuration -> optional modules, I see that "enable reduced scoring" is FALSE for both the course chair and for the individual sections (not surprising I guess, since these are newly created sections).

Q: What does the warning message mean? We don't plan to use reduced scoring, so should I ignore them or should I fix them? And if it's the latter, how?

THANKS!
In reply to Siman Wong

Re: reduced credit date

by Alex Jordan -
Just theorizing here.

It may mean that when those set definition files were created, a reduced credit date was written into them. Then when they were imported and dates shifted, the shifting is not applied to the reduced scoring date and you have a reduced scoring date at an inappropriate time relative to the other dates.

Or it may mean that the set definition files have no reduced scoring date stored, and there is some course default reduced credit date. And when the set definitions were imported, the course default was applied and it was inappropriate relative to the other dates.

Either of those explanations would indicate an oversight with the process that imports sets.

Since it's just a warning, perhaps the inappropriate reduced scoring dates are just ignored at the point of import. And especially since you have reduced scoring set to false, it probably doesn't have any impact on the sets or your course.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Siman Wong -
Thanks for your message. The .def files were exported from an older server (2.12), imported into the newer one (2.13) with the due dates (only) updated, exported, and then imported to other sections of the same (2.13) server. The warning message appears in the last step; I don't remember if the warning appeared in the second step (from old server to new). What can I do to "clear" the reduced credit dates from the exported .def files? I am perfectly fine with redoing the exporting/importing process. Thanks!
In reply to Siman Wong

by Andras Balogh -
If you don't want to use reduced scoring then you can just ignore the warning messages. I see them all the time.

If you want to get rid of the messages maybe because you don't want others to see it when they import the def files, then you could enable reduced scoring on the old server, "correct" the reduced order dates to be between the open date and the close date, and then export them again, and import them again.
It might be faster to just edit the def files in the WeBWorK File Manager. This you could do anywhere: old, or new server, or even on your local machine where you download the def files.

In reply to Siman Wong

by Michael Gage -
This seems to be a bug, although perhaps not an urgent one.

In order to help the trouble shooting could you view one of the problem sets in the homework sets editor and then save it? ( You might have to make a trivial change, such as the time of the open date, in order to get a save to actually occur. )

Does this make the warning about reduced scoring go away?

-- Mike