WeBWorK Main Forum

Upgrade instructions 2.13 --> 2.14

Upgrade instructions 2.13 --> 2.14

by Lars Jensen -
Number of replies: 5
Hi Everyone,

We're using webwork 2.13. Where on the site do I find the upgrade instructions to v.2.14.

Also, what is the name of the branch I need? 2.13 was named rel2.13. 2.14 seems to be named rel-ww2.14.....is this correct? (Why the inconsistency in the naming?)

Thanks,
Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

Re: Upgrade instructions 2.13 --> 2.14

by Danny Glin -
I don't think 2.14 has been officially released yet. The way the naming scheme works in GitHub is that pre-releases are given a branch, previous releases are given a tag, and the master branch represents the current release.

Once 2.14 becomes official, it will be merged into master and you can simply do a git pull of the master branch to update the code. You will probably have to update the database afterward.

If you want to go to 2.14 now, then the right thing to do is check out the rel-ww2.14 branch. I've been using it here for the last term without any problems. Unfortunately I don't see the release notes in the wiki. If memory serves, the only things required were updating the code and the database, but it's possible I had to do more and just don't remember.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Lars Jensen -
Thanks, Danny. I think I'll wait for the official release, then. -Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Michael Gage -
The release notes for 2.14 are here:

The search features in the wiki are flakey, to say the least, so the most reliable way to find all of the release documents is to go to "Categories" (in the left module) and then choose Category:Release_Notes:

The current and past release notes are there. It's usually ok to do jump upgrades but read the release notes for the versions that you are skipping.

I'll review the release docs when I pull 2.14 into the master branch and update the docs as necessary. I would have done it earlier but it's been a very busy end of the semester and those that wanted 2.14 could get at it.

Take care,

Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Mike,

Your instructions don't seem to exactly agree with what Danny said earlier in this thread, namely that "once 2.14 becomes official, it will be merged into master and you can simply do a git pull of the master branch to update the code"....

Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Michael Gage -
2.14 has been merged into master and the release documentation has been updated. http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Category:Release_Notes

There are also detailed notes on building a development webwork site on your laptop using Docker: https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/wiki/Docker-newbie-instructions

Both documents are wiki's so comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are welcome. They are both versioned documents so mistakes can be corrected.