WeBWorK Main Forum

Webwork LTI login not working with Canvas. Works with moodle.

Webwork LTI login not working with Canvas. Works with moodle.

by Lars Jensen -
Number of replies: 2
Dear Colleagues,

We're trying to setup LTI authentication with Canvas, but it is not working. It works fine with moodle, and we're using the same configurations for the two LMSs. From moodle the user is logged directly into webwork, but on Canvas, the user is sent to the webwork login page, where the user is stuck...??

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

Re: Webwork LTI login not working with Canvas. Works with moodle.

by Michael Gage -
This sounds to me like misconfiguration at the Canvas end. I suspect it isn't sending information to the url as if it were an LTI tool but as if it was a plain website url. I have seen this behavior on Blackboard when I have forgotten to check the "this is an LTI tool url" box on the Blackboard set up for redirect.

If there is more to the problem than this you can set the LTI debug flag to 1
#$debug_lti_parameters = 0; in localOverrides.conf

and you will get a complete printout of what Canvas is sending to WeBWorK. It's printed as a "warning" so the page will be tinted red.

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Webwork LTI login not working with Canvas. Works with moodle.

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Mike,

Thanks! One problem turned out to be that I needed to define the instructor username using a very particular case combination. Username ljensen did not work, but LJensen got me logged in. Also when defining the app in Canvas, I had to choose a "Privacy" setting to be either "Public" or "E-mail only."

With this set, the instructor can subsequently login. I haven't yet been able to check whether student accounts are correctly created in webwork after authentication through Canvas.

Lars.