WeBWorK Main Forum

possible data loss

possible data loss

by Mark Herman -
Number of replies: 3
Instructors have reported that after editing a homework set (for example, deleting, adding, reordering problems in a homework set), the path names suddenly disappear (appear completely blank) on most problems in the set. This happened yesterday; 10 out of 12 problems in a particular set resulted in blank path names (and were not manually deleted or blank to start with). We have seen this a handful of times before, but it's been at least 5 years since the last report.

We have not been able to replicate. In the case yesterday, the instructor reported reordering problems just before it happened.
In reply to Mark Herman

Re: possible data loss

by Danny Glin -
I recall one report of something similar several years back. My working theory is that the Homework Sets Editor page did not completely load, and clicking save on the partially-loaded page overwrote the complete set with only the parts that were loaded.

It sounds like this set was not yet open to students. Did you lose any student progress?
In reply to Danny Glin

by Mark Herman -

Thanks Danny - your working theory makes a lot of sense. Seems to be a localized issue unlikely to cause a serious problem.

The set was open briefly, only 2 students submitted answers, and the instructor was able to copy back in the path names. So no serious problems.

Best,
Mark

In reply to Mark Herman

by Mark Herman -
This just happened again, thought I would document it here. The instructor had a webwork set of 50 problems which they opened to students, then only later noticed the path names were missing for all 50 problems. They had to reconstruct the homework set, but otherwise no serious problems.

The instructor reported some internet issues while they were working on it: When asked if they had used back buttons or a lot of windows open this was the response, "I do typically have a couple of windows open, and I definitely could have used the back button at some point. My computer also tends to randomly disconnect from my home internet, and I'm sure it happened at more than one point while I was working yesterday, so I'm sure that couldn't have helped."