WeBWorK Main Forum

LTI failure to access gateway quiz from Moodle

LTI failure to access gateway quiz from Moodle

by Larry Riddle -
Number of replies: 4
I created a WeBWorK course for a colleague for a fall course. Today he created a gateway quiz and went to test accessing the quiz from Moodle via LTI authentication. He had already set up some regular homework assignments and those worked fine to access from Moodle. However, when clicking on the link to the gateway quiz from Moodle, he gets the following message.

Requested set 'Integral_Proficiency_Test' is a test/quiz assignment but the regular homework assignment content generator problem_list was called. Try re-entering the set from the problem sets listing page.

Can someone help me understand what this is referring to. I looked at the warning messages (having turned on debugging) but couldn't see anything that jumped out at me as a problem. If I log in directly to the WW course (as admin), I can click on the gateway assignment and it works fine.

As far as I know everything is being set up exactly the same as last year. The only change from what worked well last year is that I recently upgraded WW to version 2.14.
In reply to Larry Riddle

Re: LTI failure to access gateway quiz from Moodle

by Larry Riddle -
Further clarification...
I had the instructor add me to the class as a student. Clicking on the link to the gateway in Moodle takes me to WW but gives me the message shown above. I am in WW, however, so the LTI authentication worked, and if I click on "Homework Sets", I can then click directly on the gateway quiz and take it (which is what I'm assuming the second line of the message is suggesting to do). So what is not working is opening the gateway quiz directly from clicking on the link in Moodle because of what that first line of the message is complaining about. I just don't know how to fix that.

(I should add that we updated from a working version of 2.13 to 2.14, and the release notes say that there are no required changes to the configuration files.)
In reply to Larry Riddle

by Danny Glin -
Did this work in 2.13? I wouldn't be surprised if set-level LTI links to gateway quizzes never worked.

I'm assuming that the reason for the direct link to the quiz is to enable grade pass back. Otherwise you can set up an LTI link to the WeBWorK course and have students click on the quiz once they get there.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Larry Riddle -
Yes, the LTI link from Moodle to a gateway quiz in WeBWorK worked fine in version 2.13.
In reply to Larry Riddle

by Larry Riddle -
ISSUE RESOLVED

It turned out that the instructor failed to use the correct url for the gateway quiz when creating the assignment as an external tool in Moodle. He typed the url manually but left out the "quiz_mode" part of the url (which does not occur in the url for a regular homework set). That is why WeBWorK called the "regular homework assignment content generator problem_list" for what was suppose to be a test/quiz assignment.