WeBWorK Main Forum

Rserve Demo - Error?

Rserve Demo - Error?

by Wesley Burr -
Number of replies: 4
Hi, folks,

New year, brand new server, new installation of WW (2.14) on Ubuntu 18.04. Fairly sure I have everything running to have Rserve work:

1. R installed
2. Rserve installed, running, and accessible through the firewall on port 6311
3. Statistics::R::IO installed
4. Rserve enabled in WW (localOverrides.conf, specialPGEnvironmentVars)

However, when I test the suggested test problem from the wiki, I get the following. Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

Further details:
1. R 3.6.1
2. Rserve 1.7-31
3. Statistics::R::IO 1.0002

In reply to Wesley Burr

Re: Rserve Demo - Error?

by Danny Glin -
See this post:

TL;DR version: Rserve 1.7 doesn't work with R 3.5.0 or newer, so you need to install the latest Rserve from source. Within R run:
install.packages('Rserve',,"http://rforge.net/",type="source")

I've just added this to the wiki to save future people from this issue.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Wesley Burr -
Apologies for missing that: I was the one who had asked, a year ago! And you answered, a year ago!

In my 'defense', it's been a year, and the summer involves a full brain dump.

I did try your suggestion, and now have Rserve 1.8-6 installed and running. I rebooted Apache and restarted the Rserve daemon, but am still getting the same message coming back (I think) - below.

Any further troubleshooting suggestions? Also, sitting on the console after ensuring Rserve is launching gives these errors when loading the .pm in WW:

Error: long vectors not supported yet: qap_encode.c:36
Fatal error: unable to initialize the JIT

Error from WW:
In reply to Wesley Burr

by Danny Glin -
Check this thread to see if any of those suggestions work for you:

It's possible that an Rserve process is still running, so make sure to kill all Rserve processes and then restart.

The other thing to check is to make sure you installed Rserve as root so that the package is available to all users.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Wesley Burr -
I had done all that, but possibly not in the correct order. I followed most of the suggested path at the bottom of d=4533, and that seems to have fixed it up. Possible that I was running into the same issue: reinstalling Rserve, which 'mostly worked', but hadn't killed the running process first. So when I then restarted it, it was muntered.

Everything works! Hurrah!

Thanks again, tremendously, for all your help, Danny. You're a champ.