Installation

WW2.13_Ubuntu16.04_Vanilla.ova

WW2.13_Ubuntu16.04_Vanilla.ova

by John Sylvester -
Number of replies: 2
I installed WW2.13_Ubuntu16.04_Vanilla.ova in Virtual box. This is my first try with a VM, so I may be confused, but it appears that this is configured with an 8Gb hard disk. I started getting disk full warnings when I installed the ssh server. Is this a bug, or did I do something wrong. I just accepted all the defaults when installing the VM.

thanks
John
In reply to John Sylvester

Re: WW2.13_Ubuntu16.04_Vanilla.ova

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi John,

The WW2.13_Ubuntu16.04_Vanilla.ova gives a very generic setup. You should "tune" your VM giving it a reasonable amount of cpu's, memory, and disk space depending on your load. Also look at the apache configuration, e.g. see http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Installation_Manual_for_2.13_on_Ubuntu_18.04#Configuring_Apache,
especially
# For WeBWorK a rough rule of thumb is 5 MaxRequestWorkers per 1 GB of memory MaxRequestWorkers 5 MaxConnectionsPerChild 50
In reply to Arnold Pizer

Re: WW2.13_Ubuntu16.04_Vanilla.ova

by John Sylvester -
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the advice. Once I learned to look a little more closely, it was not the disk but the partition that was full. I tried wading through info on how to resize the partition, but quickly got lost. I found it easier to just create a new machine and then mount the Vanilla_LiveDVD iso and install from it. The virtual machine was slower than molasses until I did a bit of the tweaking you suggested. Seems to be fine now.

Thanks again,
John