WeBWorK Main Forum

reestablishing admin status

reestablishing admin status

by Joel Trussell -
Number of replies: 2
Recently, a TA with prof permissions reset the permissions of the admins to student. When I went to check on the class, I couldn't get to the details I needed. After an email, the TA reset my permission to professor. That works for most stuff in the class. Is it possible for an admin to reset his/her own permissions in a class? Is the admin permission really needed for anything at the class level. I used it for setting up classes and renaming them, etc. I don't recall needing that permission when doing anything when I was operating "inside" the class.
thanks

In reply to Joel Trussell

Re: reestablishing admin status

by Michael Gage -
You don't need admin privileges for most course administrative duties.

Admin privileges do allow you to cautiously modify settings in course.conf without needing command line privileges. (You need to be cautious because if you modify course.conf so that it has a syntax error then everyone will be locked out of the course until someone with command line access to the server can correct the error. )

If you have command line privileges you can create a temporary admin user using

/webwork2/bin/wwsh courseName addadmin (or if the addmin is already there and you want to reset the password to 'admin' use
/webwork2/bin/wwsh courseName putadmin

In reply to Michael Gage

Re: reestablishing admin status

by Joel Trussell -
thanks - I'll let the real Webwork systems people do this level of operations. I think I know my place in the food chain.