WeBWorK Main Forum

Is the MAA webwork server down?

Is the MAA webwork server down?

by tim Payer -
Number of replies: 5
We at HSU have a subscription for Webwork that serves four classes with over 200 students and have recently had interrupted service.

Tuesday evening, February 11th, the site went down from 8pm-10pm (or Later?) Pacific time.

But all service had resumed by early Wednesday morning.

Today, Wednesday, Feb 12th, the site went down again at approximately 4:45pm Pacific Time and now more that three hours later the site is still down.

Can you please help us verify if the problem on our end or are other schools having the same intermittent issues with Webwork service?

Any light you help shed on this is most appreciated.

Sincerely, Tim
In reply to tim Payer

Re: Is the MAA webwork server down?

by John Sylvester -
It might be a good idea to routinely post to this (or another) forum whenever it appears that there is an issue on the MAA server. Then we would all know where to look if we suspected something was wrong.
In reply to John Sylvester

by John Sylvester -
My students reported the MAA server was down last night from around 9:30 until midnight

by tim Payer -
This is true for my students too.

This is the third straight night that Webwork users on MAA subscriptions have interrupted service for anywhere from 3-8 hours per night.

The chronic outages can not work with the regular homework schedule.
Can someone please let us know what is causing this?
Is there anyone working on a solution?

I am calling the MAA right now and will report back.

Tim

by tim Payer -
Karen at the Front desk of the MAA: 1-800-331-1622,

Says that folks were aware of the outage on Wednesday night and were "looking into the issue", but apparently the techs were not aware that the MAA server has failed for three nights straight:
Feb 11th for Approx 6 hours from 6:30- Midnight
Feb 12th for Approx 8 hours from 4:45pm to midnight
Feb 13th for Approx 6 hours from 7:30- Midnight.

Please note that these "midnight" references are only pointing to the time stamp from the last set of emails from my students. The Webwork Server could very likely have been down quite a bit longer until 7am (Pacific) when I come in and see that webwork service has been restored.

They have assured me that they will call me back when the techs have an updated assessment of the problem. I will relay the issue here when I hear from them.

Tim
In reply to tim Payer

by tim Payer -
Karen from the Front desk of the MAA has just sent me an email at 2pm today, Friday Feb 14th, stating that the problem has been corrected and that we should not have anymore downed server issues.

Tim