WeBWorK Main Forum

settint up gateway quiz - chaning parameters

settint up gateway quiz - chaning parameters

by Joel Trussell -
Number of replies: 4

I'm trying to set up an online exam to be used with an online class. I can use the Homework format with 1-2 attempts but this requires setting times for each student if they are not taking it at a single time. I thought I'd try the gateway test even though multiple attempts for the same problem are not allowed. I have a problem set with 4 easy problems that I can assign to a dummy student for testing. I know the answers to the problems and can answer them very quickly. The settings for the gateway are belwo except the yes/no settings didn't copy. I attached a pix of the settings

General Information
Opens
Reduced Scoring Date
Closes
Answers Available
Visible to Students
Reduced Scoring Enabled
Hide Hints from Students
Assignment type
Gateway parameters
Test Time Limit (min; 0=Close Date)
Cap Test Time at Set Close Date?
Number of Graded Submissions per Test (0=infty)
Time Interval for New Test Versions (min; 0=infty)
Number of Tests per Time Interval (0=infty)
Order Problems Randomly
Number of Problems per Page (0=all)
Show Scores on Finished Assignments?
Show Problems on Finished Tests

The problem is that when I click the "grade test" button when I'm signed on as the student, it gives me zero then changes parameters

Your score on this test (1) WAS recorded.
Your score on this test is 0/40.
Time taken on test: 2 min (5 min allowed).

I know I should have gotten a 35/40 - I missed one on purpose. I assume my settings are wrong, but I can't find it.

Second problem - the first problem is a matching to find points on  a curve. If I click on "preview the answers"  the gateway will clear the answers for the matching problem but is Ok for the other problems. Is this normal?

Attachment gateway settings.png
In reply to Joel Trussell

Re: settint up gateway quiz - chaning parameters

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Joel,

Interesting. It sounds as if the randomization for the problem is getting reset with each submission (if you preview, do the parameters also change?). That is, when you submit, the parameters change, so that the answers that were correct are now not. I have a vague memory of having seen something like this before, but can't think what it was. There isn't anything inherent to the gateway settings that would tie into this, but it's the type of thing that might show up in the gateway context and not in homework just because there is more going on there.

I guess I would first check to see if you see the same behavior if you get rid of one or more of the problems in your test set. That would at least isolate the issue to a problem, or to the set in general.

Gavin

by Glenn Rice -

Are the problems that you are using from the OPL?  If so which ones?  If not, could you attach a zip containing the pg source of the problems you are using (if you are willing to share this)?

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Joel Trussell -
Thanks - I created a archive (tgz file) with the tests cases and problems.

I started with 4 problems. set the gateway parameters as before, assigned the test to a dummy student - so I'm not working the problem as the prof acting as the student, but logging in as the student with a separate ID and password. We use this for testing.

I started with a set of 4 problems. wrote answers to the problems as the student, hit the preview button. the first problem is reset and the answers are blank, the following 3 have the answers that I typed, but I can see the problem parameters have been updated. I submit the test and everything is wrong.

I create a new set by deleting the first problem. start the test and answer as before. hit the preview button. the first problem is reset and the answers are blank, the following 2 have the answers that I typed, I submit the test and everything is wrong.

I create a new set by deleting the first problem in the set above, start the test and answer as before. hit the preview button. the first problem is reset and the answers are blank, the following 1 has the answers that I typed, but I can see the problem parameters have been updated. I submit the test and everything is wrong.

I create a new set with only one problem, start the test and answer as before. hit the preview button. - no problems, preview looks good. I submit the test and the problem is graded as correct. .

I attach the tgz file

by Glenn Rice -

I am unable to reproduce this.  I created a gateway quiz with the 4 problems in the tar ball you attached, and the same settings as in your picture.  I answered all of the problems, and clicked on the preview button.  The preview showed the answers I entered, and the problem parameters were still the same.  If I graded the test, it all seemed to work as it should.

I tested this on a server using webwork and pg versions 2.15, as well as with the develop branch.  I did have to change the © symbol in the problemPanic.pl macro to © to get quiz to load for version 2.15.  That has already been done in the develop branch.  However, I don't think that has anything to do with the problem here.

What version of webwork and pg are you using?