WeBWorK Main Forum

remote proctoring a gateway quiz

remote proctoring a gateway quiz

by Michael Gage -
Number of replies: 12

Do you know someone who knows how to use the gateway testing with a proctor in WeBWorK?

I have one question.

When a student clicks Grade Test, they are shown a Proctor submission page.  But for some reason this requires my password to complete the submission process and I cannot get to their computers.

Any ideas?  IS there a different setting I should use for remote proctoring?

Thanks!
Paul Seeburger
In reply to Michael Gage

Re: remote proctoring a gateway quiz

by Glenn Rice -

The best way to deal with this is to create a new user in the class that has grade_proctor permissions.  I usually give the user the login name 'proctor'.  Then create a password for that user that is not the same as your password.  I use a randomly generated password for this.  Then when the user arrives at that screen, give the student the user name 'proctor' and the password you chose.  After the exams in progress are completed and graded, change the 'proctor' users password.

Note, that you do not need to assign anything to the proctor user.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Danny Glin -
The idea of the proctored gateway mode was for live exams where a proctor had to verify the student (e.g. check ID, put away phone, etc.) when they started and when they finished. What is the purpose of using proctored mode for remote exams?
In reply to Danny Glin

by Glenn Rice -
I am about to proctor the final exam for my courses tomorrow remotely via Zoom meeting.  The point is that we can not physically meet at this time due to COVID-19 restrictions.

However, the method that I gave is useful even when proctoring live exams.  We use that method to proctor our placement exam.  It is convenient because you can simply give out the password, and not have to go around and enter it yourself.
In reply to Glenn Rice

by Danny Glin -

Sorry, it turns out my question was based on a faulty assumption.  I assumed that if you set a single password on a proctored test then it wouldn't require a proctor login to complete the test.  Now that I know how it actually behaves Glenn's solution makes more sense.

I find this behaviour counterintuitive, as I would expect that if I set a single password for the exam, then that should be all that the students need to complete the exam.  I'm thinking that if the single password is set, then there shouldn't be any sort of authorization required to submit the exam.  What do other people think should be the default behaviour?

In reply to Danny Glin

by Glenn Rice -
I agree. I expected the same behavior as you for the single password option. Students enter the password to start, and don't need to enter the password to complete/grade the test. At some point I will try implementing that as an option for gateway quizzes.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Paul Seeburger -
I am trying it out as part of my Zoom remote-proctoring process. I am not having them enter their answers in WeBWorK, but only reveal the final exam questions there.

This gateway option allows me to reveal and hide the test questions during and after the exam in a way that appears more efficient and secure for this purpose than regular homework assignments in WeBWork, and certainly is more secure than opening a PDF (even password protected) was.

Since students don't all have printers available I decided not to have them print my final exam, but rather just use blank paper to complete the work for the problems they see on the screen.

This process is not without major loopholes still and is by no means equivalent to in-person proctoring. But since I am not being given an option to require or offer in-person proctoring at this time, I am doing my best to set up a pseudo-proctored option, at least for my differential equations course final exam.

The big loopholes that are left are that student work remains with the student and can thus easily be shared with other students, etc. for later testing sessions, and the students have access to their computer screens where I cannot see what other tabs may be accessible to them during the exam. If I were proctoring just one student, and they can use an external webcam to allow me to see their hands and face in their work area, I could also have them share their screens and I would then know all of what they were viewing there. But of course, this does not work with multiple student proctoring sessions in Zoom.

I do require them not to use their phones and not to type on their keyboards, so many types of cheating by looking up the answers and the work/steps cannot be done while I am watching, and collaboration is avoided for the exam.

I've had to give zeros to four students this summer who collaborated on a take-home exam, although they had signed an honor statement promising not to collaborate or look online for answers or work.

The whole way students are doing their homework is quickly changing over to going online to get as much work and answers as possible and then struggling through the rest in groups. They are highly tempted to collaborate on take-home exams, since they have been working so closely on other course assignments already.

Paul
In reply to Paul Seeburger

by Danny Glin -
Based on what you describe it doesn't sound like you need to use the proctored gateway mode. If you're just using it to control access to the exam content, then the regular gateway mode should be sufficient.

If you are collecting their written work electronically then you may be interested in Gradescope, which is available free until the end of 2020. It allows students to upload scans/pictures of their work, and then has a nice interface for grading them online.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Paul Seeburger -

Thanks, Danny!

I guess I need to learn more about the non-proctored gateway quiz option.

I assume it also has a password to enter?

Either way, the proctored ones do the job.  Does the regular gateway option close the test up once it is submited automatically?

That would be easier.

For grading, I am comfortable using OneNote, as I use it to grade my online class assignments all the time using my iPad.

Thanks though!  It's always useful to hear about new solutions.

Paul

In reply to Paul Seeburger

by Glenn Rice -

The unproctored gateway does not have a password, or require a proctor username and password. It is open for the students to start. It does close automatically when completed.

You could use the open date to control when students start. Set that to a later date, and change it to an earlier date when they are ready to start.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Paul Seeburger -
Is it timed? I used the timer to set up 3 hours (180 minutes) for them to see how much time they each had left once they entered the password and started the test.