Installation

259 setmaker.js: /webwork2/instructorXMLHandler: Forbidden

by Simon Read -
Number of replies: 4

Folks,

I upgraded from Ubuntu 16 to 18 which broke my WeBWorK 2.12 installation.  I did an upgrade through the git mechanism to 2.14+.  After a few issues the server appears to be running.  However, when I try to add a problem from the Library browser I get the old --

I've checked the permissions on all the files in /opt/webwork and everything is set fine.  I'm not trying to use SSL and the site URL remains unchanged since I was running 2.12 under Ubuntu 16.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could be doing wrong?  I don't really want to have to do a fresh install with Ubuntu 20 as I have other stuff installed on the server.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

In reply to Simon Read

Re: 259 setmaker.js: /webwork2/instructorXMLHandler: Forbidden

by Danny Glin -

Based on what you describe I'm assuming that the rest of the javascript in the library browser works.  In particular, when you choose a subject, if the list of chapters automatically populates then it means that some of the javascript is working.

When I've come across the Forbidden message it's usually because my WeBWorK login session is no longer valid, either because it has timed out or I've logged in somewhere else.  The first thing to try would be to log out of WW then log back in.  I'd also recommend trying another browser just in case it has something to do with browser security.  After that I suggest restarting apache just to make sure there's nothing stale floating around.

In reply to Danny Glin

by Simon Read -
Thanks for the rapid reply.

All of the other JavaScript seems to work just fine. I can even try the problem!

I've tried logging out closing the tab and logging in again. I've even restarted the client since first encountering the problem. No joy there.

I've tried Chrome and Firefox and both behave in the same way.

I restarted the Apache server and that didn't seem to solve the problem.

All good ideas though.

Simon
In reply to Simon Read

by Simon Read -
A further update that makes this less of a problem. Apparently, I hadn't created an actual "problem set" to add the problem to. Creating the problem set makes the error disappear.

I'm not a user of WeBWorK myself, so I didn't know the drill. Crisis over.

It would be nice if there were a more helpful error message though.

Simon
In reply to Simon Read

by Danny Glin -
It looks like you found a very specific bug. If there are existing homework sets in the course but you don't select one, you get the helpful message "You need to pick a target set above so we know what set to which we should add this problem." It's only if you haven't created any homework sets yet that you get the error message that you encountered.

I will file a bug and hopefully this is an easy fix for the next release.