WeBWorK Main Forum

Scoring gateway quiz with multiple attempts

Scoring gateway quiz with multiple attempts

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 6

One of our faculty members is using gateway quizzes on the WeBWorK server I maintain.

He assumed (as did I) that if students are allowed multiple attempts for the quiz, their grade would be the highest score among the different attempts. But he is reporting that students are in fact getting the average of their attempts.

There doesn't seem to be a setting in the quiz to choose between these options. Is average score the default, or is he misreading the results somehow?

In reply to Sean Fitzpatrick

Re: Scoring gateway quiz with multiple attempts

by Sean Fitzpatrick -

Here are the settings he chose for the quiz:

Settings for a gateway quiz

by Danny Glin -
I just tried a quiz with those settings, and what WeBWorK recorded is the highest score on each problem rather than on each attempt*, but I don't see anything that looks like an average. Can you post an anonymized screenshot of the student progress page that shows what he is describing?

*This might be considered a bug. If on my first attempt on a 3-question quiz I get questions 1 and 2 right, and then I change my answers to questions 2 and 3 so that I have questions 1 and 3 right, I get a score of 100% on the quiz despite never simultaneously answering all three questions correctly.

by Glenn Rice -
I didn't look closely at the settings. I realize now that you are using "Number of Graded Submissions per Test". That allows the student to change answer on the same quiz version, and submit those answers.

If you want two separate quiz attempts (potentially with different problems ... or at least parameters), you should use the "Number of Tests per Time Interval" option instead. Then the student is allowed two complete attempts, and the highest quiz attempt will be taken.

by Glenn Rice -
At this point, there are no options for how multiple gateway quiz scores are used, and the highest score is used.
In reply to Glenn Rice

by Sean Fitzpatrick -

I am waiting to hear back on what scores he's seeing that makes him think there's an average.

There are only 2 students in the class who have a v2 for the quiz.

What might be happening: there is a question with 3 answers (and partial credit) that is weighted at 3 points.

Students with 1/3 correct get 33% of 3, or 0.99. Students with 2/3 correct get 67% of 3, of 2.01. Maybe he is seeing those decimals and assuming they came from computing an average.

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
OK, finally I've gotten to the bottom of this. Not a WeBWorK problem at all, really.
We use LTI with Moodle, and the default setting is course grade.

This is a (late career) professor using WeBWorK for the first time because we're teaching remotely and he sort of has to.

The 'average' he was referring to turns out to be the average over different assessments.
Currently he has a quiz, and has just added a homework set as well. So of course, the grade reported to the Moodle gradebook went down, because students haven't started the homework yet.