WeBWorK Main Forum

Seeking mysql guidance to look at quiz version tables

Seeking mysql guidance to look at quiz version tables

by Alex Jordan -
Number of replies: 4

I almost never do anything directly with the mysql database, as it should be. And I don't have other experience with mysql. Now I have a need to look into it, and I wondered if I could post here asking for some guidance.

An instructor created a GW quiz. Three students were the first to take it. Then the instructor also clicked to start a version. We think the instructor saw something he wanted to change, and changed something with the global quiz config. But he cannot recall. Then more students took the quiz.

Now we cannot access the quiz versions for the original three students. Their scores are visible in various places, but any attempt to load their quizzes gives the "one or more of the problems in this set have not been assigned to you" message. I know this can happen when quiz question numbering is not consecutive, but I don't see evidence of that being the case here. So I'm wondering what else could cause this. And I thought to actually look in the database and see how the tables are different for these three students compared to the others.

Is someone able to talk me through how I look at these without messing things up?

In reply to Alex Jordan

Re: Seeking mysql guidance to look at quiz version tables

by Glenn Rice -

I am sure that I could help you with this.  Although it might be a bit tedious to do through the forums.  Could you do a Zoom or Google Meet tomorrow at some point?

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Alex Jordan -

Thanks Glenn. We already have the meeting at 11:30 Pacific. Does it work for you to hang around after that?

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Alex Jordan -
We discovered the quiz originally had 17 questions. Three students started a version, then the instructor cut #16 from the list. All other students took a 16-question quiz and things worked as expected for them. But with the first three students, there was the issue originally described.

Short term, I added back the original #16 to the main quiz set details. Now we can visit the quiz version for all students in the class. For some, we see a 17-question 1uiz, for others 16. It's enough to get what the instructor needs, and no new people will be taking the quiz.

But this goes along with some other recent observations, that there are some attributes of a parent quiz that are inappopriately being used while working with a quiz *version* for a student. In this case, trying to view these student's quizzes should have just let us see all 17 questions and responses, since that is how this quiz version existed for them in the database. But the fact that the parent quiz was down to only having 16 questions somehow caused the issue.