Installation

Problems with wwassignment

Problems with wwassignment

by Steven McKay -
Number of replies: 5
Our department recently moved all of our web server to a new machine.  The good news is that it is a lot faster.  The bad news is that now webwork does not interface correctly with moodle using the wwassignment module.  Now, when I try to create an assignment on moodle, I click on "Create a webwork assignment" to get the form.  However, next to "Problem Set" there should be a drop down box for set selection.  It is missing.  This is causing me to pull my hair out.  In a related issue, the gradebook doesn't seem to have any scores for any students. (at least I hope this is related).
Any idea how to fix this?

In reply to Steven McKay

Re: Problems with wwassignment

by Michael Gage -
Hi -- it's probably related. I suspect that moodle's address for webwork is now incorrect. This is set from moodle's administration page, sub section modules (activities). There is an item for entering the moodle settings.

Make sure that the first two settings are correct for the course directory and
for the webwork url. Also I'm assuming that webwork and moodle are running
on the same machine and using the same mysql database. (The current bridge requires mysql and webwork to use the same mysql database at the current time. We hope to remove that restriction and others -- probably over this summer.)

Let us know how this goes.

Also let us know which version of moodle and of webwork you are using. Moodle's database changed significantly when moodle 1.7 came out and I have a new version of wwassignment that is compatible with 1.7 but not with 1.6. I can share it, but I haven't released it generally yet. Again this tight dependence on the internal structure of the two programs is something we hope to remove in the next iteration -- this summer.

Take care,

Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Eddie Fuller -
Mike,

I'm in the process of putting moodle and a the current 2.3.devel WebWork code on a machine for testing. I found this posting while looking into using Moodle 1.8 and if you're interested, I could test the new wwassignment setup on this machine.

-Eddie
In reply to Eddie Fuller

by Michael Gage -
Please do, however you will need a new version of wwassignment that is at least compatible with moodle 1.7 (the database structure of moodle changed significantly from 1.6 to 1.7). I believe that the 1.7 compatible version is in 1.7 -- if not you will have to wait two days until I get home (I'm in the Dubai airport)and I can send you the 1.7 compatible version that I am using for my complex variables course.

I mean to write a version that is compatible with 1.5, 16. and 1.7
but won't have time to get to that myself until towards the end of the semester.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. In particular if you find
information on the stability of moodles webservice -- requests and responses -- please let us know. In the future I want to convert the wwassignment calls to use webservices so that internal database changes do not disrupt the module.

Thanks.

Take care,

Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Eddie Fuller -
Hi Mike,

I hope your trip went well. I imagine Dubai is a nice place to visit, though perhaps hot.

I looked around a bit and found the current info regarding webservices for moodle. It looks promising, and I'll look through it this weekend with an eye for adapting wwassignment to it. The key seems to be getting the authentication information, first for authenticating to WW and then for passing data back to moodle. I think this functionality is present in the ws code I downloaded.

I was not able to find a wwassignment included with moodle1.7 or 1.8 and didn't find one in a cursory look at moodle.org. Feel free to email me a package or link to an appropriate download (cvs?).

-Eddie
In reply to Eddie Fuller

by Michael Gage -
Eddie,

the wwassignment module I'm using with moodle 1.7 can be obtained as revision rel-2-3-exp

cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.webwork.rochester.edu:/webwork/cvs/system co -r rel-2-3-exp wwmoodle/wwassignment

Will get that version.

You will also want the version of Authen/Moodle which is in HEAD
cvs update -A will get that

and also the HEAD versions of lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/Moodle/*

in a week or so I hope to have some time to rework some of these modules for the 2.4 release so that they will work with either moodle 1.6 or moodle 1.7

In the long run these modules should use webservices so that they don't depend upon the organization of each other's databases.

Hope this helps.

-- Mike