Installation

External Hosting Suggestions

External Hosting Suggestions

by Malcolm Harper -
Number of replies: 1
Hello all,
We have a project at my college to implement WeBWorK in our courses. Our original plan was for a trial assignment in a couple of calculus classes this term with full implementation in four courses next term and full roll out in many courses next fall. However we are having a tremendous lack of success getting things functional in our very Windows centric IT environment.

We need to explore external hosting options and are investigating the feasibility of using a virtual private server (VPS) for hosting WeBWorK. Does anyone have any advice on the following:
  • Feasibility of running WeBWorK on a VPS.
  • Choice of VPS provider.
  • Choice of linux flavour - Ubuntu seems to be the choice?
  • Server configuration - we want to serve about 160 students next term, but will probably scale to 1000 or more eventually. What combination of equivalent CPU/memory/bandwidth will we need for the server?
Any advice along these lines or any pointers from anyone using WeBWorK in an externally hosted environment would be much appreciated.

Malcolm
In reply to Malcolm Harper

Re: External Hosting Suggestions

by Alasdair McAndrew -
I know this is a very old query, but on the off-chance that you still get automatic replies... did you ever get an answer to this? I'm now looking at doing the same thing, and I'm not quite sure how to best go about it.

Thanks,
Alasdair