WeBWorK Main Forum

disappearing images - configuration?

disappearing images - configuration?

by Joel Trussell -
Number of replies: 3

I'm trying to help a colleague who is using Webwork problems that were developed for his course by me and others. All was well for the first 5 Homeworks which usually included figures of circuits. These must have displayed previously since there were no complaints. All of a sudden with HW6, the figures don't display - they have a blank box. The rest of the problem works and if we post the figures for the problems, the student can enter the answers and get proper checking.

I've tried several things checking macro files and course configuration. Copying his problems to othe classes - they work fine there.

A typical error message is

The macro alias cannot create a link from |/opt/webwork/webwork2/htdocs/tmp/ECE_331_002_Sprg_2021/images/024014a0-d251-3355-9865-35f54dae62be___10b548a4-2c95-303a-b71b-87db0ec86819.jpg| to |/opt/webwork/courses/ECE_331_002_Sprg_2021/templates//local/ECE331/HW4_Sum16/ECE331_Circuit_hw4_Sum16_7.jpg|

------
The macro alias was unable to form a URL for the auxiliary file |ECE331_Circuit_hw4_Sum16_7.jpg| used in this problem

I have checked and the images, e.g. ECE331_Circuit_hw4_Sum16_7.jpg,  are available in the right folder.

Any suggestions on where to look for the problem?

In reply to Joel Trussell

Re: disappearing images - configuration?

by Danny Glin -

I would check the permissions.  Your web server will need to be able to read the image file in the course templates directory, and will need to be able to write to the htdocs directory.

Usually when things like this stop working the first thing I check is if the disk is full, but if it works in other courses then that's likely not the problem.

In reply to Danny Glin

by Joel Trussell -
I don't control the server. Is there a way I can check the permissions? The course configuration doesn't look like it has any related permissions. I help several colleagues and this is the only one on the server who has the problem. Could the instructor have done anything that might have caused such a problem? I'd have thought the permissions would be determined by the system admin folks.
In reply to Joel Trussell

by Joel Trussell -

Good news. The NCSU IT people found the problem in the server permissions. Thanks for the clue that the problem was with the server rather than the user. At least we have the right people working on the problem.