WeBWorK Main Forum

confirmation dialog for timed gateway quiz not showing in 2.16

confirmation dialog for timed gateway quiz not showing in 2.16

by Larry Riddle -
Number of replies: 4

According to the release notes for WeBWorK 2.16, a confirmation dialog appears when a student clicks on a timed gateway quiz. In testing our recent update to 2.16, I created a gateway quiz with a time limit of 60 minutes. When my test student accessed the gateway quiz through authentication from Canvas, however, there was no confirmation dialog. I also took the gateway quiz directly from within the WeBWorK course (as professor) and did not get a confirmation dialog.

Is there some configuration setting I'm suppose to set to allow for the confirmation dialog?

In reply to Larry Riddle

Re: confirmation dialog for timed gateway quiz not showing in 2.16

by Alex Jordan -

That feature was not built to work with an LTI connection. The pull request mentions this:

https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/pull/1355

I just edited the release notes to mention the restriction.

When you tried from within WeBWorK, maybe because you were a professor that bypassed the confirmation dialog. Would you create a fake student in WW, assign the quiz to them, log in as them, and try it? If it does not work then, we have something to fix.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Larry Riddle -
I did get the confirmation dialog when logging in directly to a WW course as a student and taking a quiz. So it seems everything is working at intended.

It would be helpful if it also worked eventually with an LTI connection since all of our courses are authenticated that way, but I suspect there are more pressing priorities.
In reply to Larry Riddle

by Alex Jordan -

I think it would need to be a different approach with an actual intermediate confirmation page, which is what made doing that a larger project. The popup dialog can't be activated while you are still in the LMS where you are about to click the link. So the way things currently work, by the time that link is followed, it's too late and the quiz has started.

FWIW, in my own LMS, we set up the same kind of thing on the LMS end, essentially making the student read stuff and think twice before clicking the link. But that is tedious to do for every WeBWorK ELT link, and something automatic on the WeBWorK end would be nice.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Glenn Rice -

As Alex said, a confirmation page will be needed for this to work for LTI authentication, and that project was delayed for the next release. The JavaScript dialog for internal access was easier to implement, and was added to the release at the last minute.

Thanks for adding a note to the release notes about this Alex.