WeBWorK Problems

question that cannot be electronically answered and is tutor marked

question that cannot be electronically answered and is tutor marked

by Zak Zarychta -
Number of replies: 4

How might I go about publishing a question that student does not answer electronically but nevertheless can receive a grade on WeBWorK. 

Can this be done without the warning that something may be wrong with the question?

The idea is to give a student a "show that" type question which they submit as a paper based exercise but keep the grade in as part of the Week's problem set in WeBWorK.

Thanks,

Zak

In reply to Zak Zarychta

Re: question that cannot be electronically answered and is tutor marked

by Paul Seeburger -

Just don't include an answer blank or an answer checker.

You can enter the grade for each problem manually in WeBWorK later, if you choose.

I use WeBWorK to deliver exam questions in a proctored quiz format during Zoom proctored exams.  They submit the written work afterwards for grading.  I do not post their scores back to WeBWorK though.

In reply to Paul Seeburger

by Zak Zarychta -
Paul,
also useful considerations, thanks for your input.
Zak
In reply to Zak Zarychta

by Alex Jordan -

You might consider making it an essay question, like:

https://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Essay_Questions

Except it looks like that example also includes a regular answer blank. But you don't have to have that part.

The essay field could actually be useful. In some cases, maybe it's appropriate for the student to type in their full response. They can use LaTeX in the essay answer. But another thing you can use it for is they could paste a link to their real answer. Like if they have uploaded a PDF somewhere public, or recorded a video explanation and put it on YouTube, etc. Or it could just be a place for them to say "I turned in my answer in Canvas (you can go check it now)" etc.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Zak Zarychta -
Alex,
I never really considered your suggestions but they sound very useful. Thanks very much :-)
Zak