Installation

Migration of WeBWorK to new Ubuntu Server

Migration of WeBWorK to new Ubuntu Server

by John Helman -
Number of replies: 3

I'm an IT Administrator that takes care of the OS portion of the WeBWorK installation where I work.

We are currently running WeBWorK 2.15 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and are going to be upgrading the Ubuntu OS.  I've noticed that there is a VMWare OVA available that we can download and import that is for 2.15 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  I would love to be able to do that, but my question is this.

How do I go about migrating the actual WeBWorK content and courses over to the new installation once we have that completed?  I'm not sure what all needs migrated for our system users.

Thanks in advance!

In reply to John Helman

Re: Migration of WeBWorK to new Ubuntu Server

by Arnold Pizer -

There are basically three methods. Look at https://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Converting_the_webwork_database_from_the_latin1_to_the_utf8mb4_character_set#Methodology

which talks about migration to a new server.  The main subject is converting from latin1 to the utf8mb4 character set which may or may not be applicable in your situation (probably not since you are running 2.15).  The migration information talks about 2.15 but is applicable to 2.16.  Note that with 2.15 you are probably using MySQL but the prebuilt Virtual Machine and AMI images use MariaDB.  I assume archiving from MySQL tables and unarchiving into MariaDB tables should work, but have not tested that. Maybe someone else has tried this and can comment.

Arnie

In reply to Arnold Pizer

by John Helman -

Thank you Arnie.  This looks to be exactly what I needed!

In reply to John Helman

by Arnold Pizer -

You are welcome.  Reading more carefully, I see "VMWare OVA available that we can download and import that is for 2.15 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS." Note that there is also an OVA for 2.16 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS if you are interested in updating WeBWorK.