WeBWorK Main Forum

num_cmp doesn't like LaTeX formatted numbers

num_cmp doesn't like LaTeX formatted numbers

by Peter Kootsookos -
Number of replies: 8

I have a circuit analysis question that I solve using a matrix inverse.

$M1 = Matrix([($R1+$R2),($R4+$R5)],[$W*$R2-1,1]);
$V1 = Vector($VS2,0); 
$CurrentAns = $M1->inverse * $V1;

Then, I get the two answers:

$I1ans = Real($CurrentAns->element(1,1));
$I2ans = Real($CurrentAns->element(2,1));

and try to compare them with the student-entered answer:

ANS(num_cmp("$I1ans", units => 'A',reltol=>1));
ANS(num_cmp("$I2ans", units => 'A',reltol=>1));

However, if I "print" out the values I get:

-5.39287\times 10^{-8}          and        0.000647091

so the first num_cmp complains about the \.

The second num_cmp works fine (once I remove the $I1ans from the first num_cmp).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong to get the LaTeX formatting for the first element?

In reply to Peter Kootsookos

Re: num_cmp doesn't like LaTeX formatted numbers

by Peter Kootsookos -
num_cmp gives:

Unexpected character '\'; see position 9 of formula at line 392 of [PG]/macros/PGnumericevaluators.pl
Died within main::NUM_CMP called at line 392 of [PG]/macros/PGnumericevaluators.pl
from within main::num_cmp called at line 126 of (eval 6204)

by Peter Kootsookos -
Got a workaround:

$I1ans = sprintf("%.4e",$CurrentAns->element(1,1));
$I2ans = sprintf("%.4e",$CurrentAns->element(2,1));

But would still like to understand why it's LaTeXing in some cases and not others.

by Alex Jordan -
I am guessing that is giving LaTeX in both of those cases, and in one case it is just not a deep enough number to trigger scientific notation.

Do you have Context()->texStrings earlier in the problem code, but have not yet gone back to Context()->normalStrings? If that is the case, then the double quotes around the Math Object produce the LaTeX string for that number instead of the perl string.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Peter Kootsookos -
Yes, that seems to have been the problem!

Context()->normalStrings;

before I need to use num_cmp seems to do the trick!

by Alex Jordan -

One thing that I would note is that you are working with Math Objects, a relatively modern (~15 yrs old or so) tool in WeBWorK. But the num_cmp() answer checker is from before the era of Math Objects. Instead, you could use the more Math Objects-y way to do the answer checking.

I have not tried, but I think that if you add loading
parserNumberWithUnits.pl
to the libraries that are loaded, and then do like:

$I1ans = NumberWithUnits($CurrentAns->element(1,1), 'amp');
and then later like:

ANS($I1ans->cmp());
This should work. That requires using "amp" for the unit. If you wand "A" to be a valid alternative, you can add that.

$newUnit = {name => 'A', conversion => {factor =>1, amp=>1}};
$I1real = Real($CurrentAns->element(1,1));
$I1ans = NumberWithUnits("$I1real A", {newUnit=>$newUnit});

Again, this is all untested. And some of it requires a recent version of WeBWorK.

If something about it does not work, post here and I will look more closely. (And in that case let me know what your WW version is.)

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Peter Kootsookos -
Thank-you! That expands my understanding of how things connect. Much appreciated.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Danny Glin -
I would go a step farther and recommend to avoid using num_cmp completely. The old-style answer checkers are still around for backwards-compatibility reasons, and are not being updated to support new features of MathObjects.

There are a couple of downsides to using ANS(num_cmp("$I1ans", units => 'A',reltol=>1)); on a MathObject rather than the approach that Alex recommends:
  1. You are likely losing precision on your correct answer.  By default MathObjects Real numbers are displayed on the screen with a fixed number of digits, so the code above re-processes the rounded correct answer, and uses that to check the student answers.
  2. There are a number of parameters associated with a MathObject that get lost when the object is displayed as a string, and then the string is used in num_cmp.  The LaTeX displays string, and any tolerance that was previously set are a couple of examples.