Forum archive 2000-2006

David Etlinger - FAQ--Managing a WeBWorK Course

David Etlinger - FAQ--Managing a WeBWorK Course

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicFAQ--Managing a WeBWorK Course topic started 10/4/2000; 1:56:15 PM
last post 10/4/2000; 1:56:15 PM
userDavid Etlinger - FAQ--Managing a WeBWorK Course  blueArrow
10/4/2000; 1:56:15 PM (reads: 1081, responses: 0)

FAQ -- Managing a WeBWorK Course

What is the best way to add new students early in a course? I want the new student to have the same due dates as the other students.

How are the paper set header and screen set header files typically used?

What is the "Housekeeping" item on the professor's page? Should I use it?

When I click on "login" I get: Can't locate /home/httpd/webwork/system/courses/math121/webworkCourse.ph in @INC (did you run h2ph?)

The problem is that WeBWorK can not locate or read the file webworkCourse.ph. Assuming the class_id is mth100, this file is located in .../webwork/courses/mth100/. The most likely reasons are:

1. The course_id on the login page (.../webwork/courses/mth100/html/index.html) in the line is wrong.
  2. The webserver can not read the webworkCourse.ph file becaue the permissions are wrong (perhaps they got changed if you edited the file). The permission should be 640.
  3. There is some problem with the path to the main course directory (i.e. mth100). WeBWork follows the path .../webwork/system/courses/mth100 . Note in the usual setup, this last mth100 is a link pointing to .../webwork/courses/mth100/ .

What is the best way to add new students early in a course? I want the new student to have the same due dates as the other students.

To add a new student and give them the same due dates as the other students, first go to the Add Student(s) Page (linked to from the Professor's Page) and add the new student(s). However, do not select any problem sets for them. Then, go to the Build Problem Set page and build all sets again. This will build the sets for the new students and give them the same due dates as other students (i.e., the due dates listed in the set definition files). It will not affect any previously existing students' data. Specifically, it will not reset any scoring data.

If you build problem sets for the new students directly from the Add Student(s) Page, you will have to select sets one at a time and enter the desired open, due, and answer dates for each one. This is the desired behavior if a new student is added later in the semester, and you want to give them time to catch up.

How are the paper set header and screen set header files typically used?

The paper set header and screen set header files determine what information is output at the start of a problem set. The paper set header determines what is at the start of a hard copy (PDF or Postscript), and the screen set header determines what appears to the right of the problem list when selecting problems online. The header files used are the ones given in the set definition file, in lines like these:

#paperHeaderFile = paperSetHeader1.pg
#screenHeaderFile = screenSetHeader1.pg

If these lines don't exist, or are commented out (as above), then the default headers are used. Default headers are stored in the templates directory of your course. Custom headers for a particular problem set should be stored in the problem set directory. Note that you will have to include the directory in the set definition file:

screenHeaderFile = set0/set0screen.pg

Nonstandard paper headers are almost never used. If you want to give specific information on an assignment (e.g. relevant sections in the text, upcoming exam reminders) then it is best to use a screen header file. Make sure the file has permission 660 and the same group as your other files so the webserver can read it. Some students don't ever use a paper copy, so don't put vital information there. If you really want to alert the students to something, send an individualized e-mail (from the Send Mail professor's page).

What is the "Housekeeping" item on the professor's page? Should I use it?

The housekeeping professor's page is a maintanence tool that cleans up temporary files, compresses the database, and shows currently logged in users. The list of current users is for curiosity's sake only, but the other two options can and should be used about once every other week or so. The first item, "Remove unnecessary tmp files", will scan your temp directory and delete outdated temporary files. This can save quite a bit of space. The second item, "Compress gbdm database", will remove the "garbage" from the WeBWorK database. This will both save space and increase efficiency. Typically, the gbdm file size will be decreased by 50-60%, and sometimes substantially more. Either or both of these operations can be performed at any time; they have no effect on currently logged in users.

<| Post or View Comments |>