Forum archive 2000-2006

David Galvin - Restricting information available to TA

David Galvin - Restricting information available to TA

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicRestricting information available to TA topic started 1/20/2001; 11:14:17 PM
last post 1/23/2001; 5:18:08 PM
userDavid Galvin - Restricting information available to TA  blueArrow
1/20/2001; 11:14:17 PM (reads: 1308, responses: 3)
At the moment, when a TA looks at the "View Students' Progress" page on the "TA's Page", he is able to see each student's ID. Since at Rutgers, the student ID is his social security number, we would prefer to have this information masked.

How do we acheive this? (We're using version 1.5)

Thanks,

David Galvin, Rutgers.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Restricting information available to TA  blueArrow
1/21/2001; 8:01:42 PM (reads: 1600, responses: 0)
There is no automatic way to do this. If you do not really need your TA's to be able to see a student's exact problem then do not give them TA privileges. If you do need your TA's to be able to see a student's exact problem, then you have a problem. Actually, if your REALLY need to hide this info from TA's, we can tell you where to edit the scripts that display this info. At Rochester, many Professors are using something like ab002j-1234 as the student id where ab002j is the student's email address and 1234 are the last 4 digits of the students SS#.

If a number of people have a similar problem, we could add an option to hide this info from TA's. I would appreciate opinions on this.

userDavid Galvin - Re: Restricting information available to TA  blueArrow
1/21/2001; 10:28:55 PM (reads: 1589, responses: 0)
We WOULD like our TAs to be able to see a student's exact problem set; and we would NOT like out TAs to be able to see everyone's social security number. So I guess we have a problem!

I'd like to know where to go to change the scripts that display this info.

Your idea of making the student id be something that includes only partial ssn is good; unfortunately, it's too late for us at Rutgers this semester!

David.

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Restricting information available to TA  blueArrow
1/23/2001; 5:18:08 PM (reads: 1565, responses: 0)
David,

This will be part of the next release of WeBWorK. I have emailed you privately telling you how to make the small changes in two scripts needed to accomplish this. If anyone else needs to make this change before the next release, email me.