Forum archive 2000-2006

Andy Wildenberg - possible feature enhancement

Andy Wildenberg - possible feature enhancement

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicpossible feature enhancement topic started 2/14/2001; 5:02:29 PM
last post 2/14/2001; 5:21:49 PM
userAndy Wildenberg - possible feature enhancement  blueArrow
2/14/2001; 5:02:29 PM (reads: 922, responses: 1)
I understand that currently WebWork uses the gdbm backend for its database functions. How difficult would it be to tie WebWork to a standalone database instead? I realize that there is no equivalent of JDBC in Perl, but I have seen some packages that provide a single frontend to multiple database backends, and it would be nice to be able to use an industrial database when one is available.

On the other hand if this is a lot of work, there are probably quite a few other enhancements that would be higher priority.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: possible feature enhancement  blueArrow
2/14/2001; 5:21:49 PM (reads: 1107, responses: 0)
This is in the works.

Actually WeBWorK in theory (this really hasn't been tested) can also use an older version of Berkeley DB. Hopefully very soon it will work with the current (better) version of Berkeley DB. To implement this type of flat database, all that is needed is to write (and test) a very small "tie" file (look at gdbm_tie.pl which is what we really use or db_tie.pl). Which DB a course uses is selected in the webworkCourse.ph file. Everyone at this point should stick with the well tested gdbm_tie.pl.

We want to reorganize how webwork uses databases so as to take better take advantage of relational DB's such as mysql. This will require some more work. Basically one will have a DBglue file (such as DBglue7) for flat databases (gdbm, BerkeleyDB) and another for relational databases (mysql, etc, etc.) and one will probably also have to (or want to) change the way some of this data is called in the main program.

Hopefully these changes will be in the next major release of WeBWorK in August.

<| Post or View Comments |>