Forum archive 2000-2006

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - counting incorrect attempts

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - counting incorrect attempts

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopiccounting incorrect attempts topic started 6/12/2001; 4:40:52 PM
last post 6/13/2001; 12:45:01 PM
userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - counting incorrect attempts  blueArrow
6/12/2001; 4:40:52 PM (reads: 1029, responses: 1)
I would propose that the algorithm for counting incorrect attempts be changed. Currently on a multipart question, if a student say chooses to answer only the first part of the question and leaves the other parts blank, that is counted as an incorrect attempt. I think this leads to misleading statistics about problem difficulty, particularly on the types of questions I like to write, where the sequence of questions is supposed to walk the student through a solution. Not to mention the more egregious case of a conditional problem, where the second part of the question doesn't even appear until the first part is answered correctly.

So would propose that an attempt be only counted as incorrect when a student enters some nonblank answer to some question which is incorrect. Or alternatively that there should be some flag variable which the problem author could use to control this behavior, eg.

blankIncorrect = 0;

Zig Fiedorowicz

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: counting incorrect attempts  blueArrow
6/13/2001; 12:45:01 PM (reads: 1272, responses: 0)
I can think of situations where I would want to see partially blank attempts counted, so the existing count should definitely be kept available.

John Jones

<| Post or View Comments |>