WeBWorK Main Forum

external authentication

external authentication

by Jack Dockery -
Number of replies: 4

Is there a way to turn off CAS external authentication on just one course? I would like to

allow someone who doesn't below to our university to login as a professor and all our

courses have CAS authentication on as default. 

In reply to Jack Dockery

Re: external authentication

by Alex Jordan -

You can edit that course's course.conf file to have:

$external_auth = 0;

If it is a recent enough version of WeBWorK, then in authen_LTI.conf you can uncomment the corresponding component of @LTIConfigVariables. And then in a course's Course Config page, there will be an LTI tab, and you can toggle this there too.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Jack Dockery -

I tried this and still must login using the campus login. 

#try to turn off CAS:

$external_auth = 0;

In reply to Jack Dockery

by Danny Glin -

WeBWorK allows multiple login methods for a single course.  This is controlled by the $authen{user_module} variable.  You can put more than one entry in the array for that variable, and WeBWorK will iterate through them all until it gets a positive result.  This allows you to have some users authenticate with an external system (e.g. LDAP), and others use a local password.

With that being said, this may not be compatible with CAS authentication since I believe it redirects the login page, which wouldn't give local users anywhere to enter their username and password.  In that case you can still turn off CAS authentication completely for an individual course by adding the following to course.conf:

$authen{user_module} = {
        "*" => "WeBWorK::Authen::Basic_TheLastOption",
};

$external_auth = 0;