WeBWorK Main Forum

Columns in default (unauthenticated) course listing

Columns in default (unauthenticated) course listing

by Erich Lantz -
Number of replies: 3

I recently set up a 2.17 installation using data from an existing 2.12 one; each instance uses the math4 theme. I would like to know what controls which data is displayed in the default course listing that users see before logging in. The example below shows such a listing from the existing installation, where sections are indented under each course- which appears in bold- and the instructor's name is displayed for each respective section in a second column.

My new 2.17 displays the course listing like this:

WeBWorK course listing

... and the layout I'd like to replicate is (from the existing 2.12):

WeBWorK course listing with annotation

Thanks!

In reply to Erich Lantz

Re: Columns in default (unauthenticated) course listing

by Danny Glin -

As far as I know this feature was never available as part of the standard WeBWorK code.  It was most likely a customization that was done at your institution.

The course listing page is controlled by /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Home.pm.  You can check if that file was modified on your 2.12 installation by running 'git status' in the /opt/webwork/webwork2 directory.

If these are local changes then it may be possible to submit them to the main WeBWorK code repository to see if they can be included in the next release.

In reply to Danny Glin

by Erich Lantz -
Thank you! This file is exactly the one I was seeking. I knew that the customized listing was configured by a previous employee, but had been unable to locate the file that controls this output. I copied the file from the 2.12 installation and duplicated the desired listing.
In reply to Erich Lantz

by Danny Glin -

One thing to be careful of when copying a file from an older version is that you will be overwriting any updates that have been made to that file in the intervening versions.  The course listing page hasn't changed much over the years so that page may be pretty safe, but it's something to be aware of.

Are you able to post a copy of the file here (assuming that there is no private information directly in the file) so that the developers can see if this is something that can be made available as part of the official release?