Forum archive 2000-2006

Kenneth Appel - Does anyone have a True-False evaluator?

Kenneth Appel - Does anyone have a True-False evaluator?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicDoes anyone have a True-False evaluator? topic started 8/16/2001; 8:31:37 AM
last post 8/20/2001; 6:28:56 PM
userKenneth Appel - Does anyone have a True-False evaluator?  blueArrow
8/16/2001; 8:31:37 AM (reads: 1037, responses: 1)
I am not as familiar as I would like to be with the answer evaluator. I would like to write some problems of the form "Which elements of the set S (of natural numbers) satisfy the following conditions?" I suspect that because of the courses that have been looked at so far it is possible that no one has needed an evaluator for answers for such questions. However, this is just asking for the characteristic function of a subset of a set and, as such, could be handled by the same sort of evaluator that deals with true-false questions which I think that it is likely that someone out there has perfected. I hate to be in the position of reinventing wheels since it takes so long to debug the spokes, so any help would be appreciated. Ken Appel (kia@oregano.unh.edu)

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Does anyone have a True-False evaluator?  blueArrow
8/20/2001; 6:28:56 PM (reads: 1323, responses: 0)
Hi Ken,

Perhaps something like the check_box answer evaluator might be useful:

"Which elements of the set S satisfy the following conditions?"

[ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

the student could check more than one box. Some version of multiple-choice might also work for this type of question. These answer evaluators have been written, but not yet heavily used, so there is only some documentation and there may still be some bugs. Try looking at PGchoicemacros.pl and the checkbox_cmp macros in PGanswermacros.pl. (These checkbox_cmp macros may still need more work -- they are the old style answer evaluators.) More detailed information about creating these types of questions can be found in Match.pm and List.pm

Hope this helps.

--Mike

<| Post or View Comments |>