Forum archive 2000-2006

Arnold K. Pizer - CGI::Vars error

Arnold K. Pizer - CGI::Vars error

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicCGI::Vars error topic started 8/16/2001; 3:45:26 PM
last post 8/17/2001; 1:33:35 PM
userArnold K. Pizer - CGI::Vars error  blueArrow
8/16/2001; 3:45:26 PM (reads: 1324, responses: 2)
I am testing WebWorK on a FreeBSD 4.3 system and running into the following problem. After following the steps in the readme files and other installation instructions on the web, it is working to the point of having a login page for demoCourse. After logging in as apizer and the entering password 111-11-111 get a login valid page and then when the the "Enter Professor's Page" button is clicked the following error message is given. I would greatly appreciate your help in resolving this problem. (The httpd-error.log message is also included at the end of this message.)

Thanks,

Sing-Cheong Ong

-------------------------------------begin{errormessage}----------

Software error

Undefined subroutine CGI::Vars Please inform the webwork meister.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: CGI::Vars error  blueArrow
8/16/2001; 3:49:40 PM (reads: 1571, responses: 0)
CGI::Vars ERROR:

A few yars ago this error was more prevelent.

Software error: Undefined subroutine CGI::Vars

If you get this error, it means you must update to a newer version of the Perl module CGI.pm. The current version is 2.77. We know that versions newer than 2.55 work. It seems that quite old versions of CGI.pm are distributed with some unix distributions.

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: CGI::Vars error  blueArrow
8/17/2001; 1:33:35 PM (reads: 1561, responses: 0)
Sing-Cheong installed a recent version of CGI from the FreeBSD site but that didn't solve his problem. After several emails, he wrote:

Dear Arnie:

Thanks a lot for suggesting looking at the website http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/ I downloaded CGI.pm.tar.gz and installed it according to the instruction, and now it works.Thanks for all your time and patience with me. Sorry for bugging you so much.

This installs in a different directory /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/CGI.pm

Sing-Cheong