Installation

url not found after updation

url not found after updation

by Ben Huang -
Number of replies: 8

Dear community,

I am recently trying to install WeBWorK 2.17 Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS Amazon Machine Image. Right after the launching, I was able to access the homepage of WebWork with http://(Public IPv4 address)/webwork2. However, after updating the webwork2 and pg code and restarting apache2, the above URL stopped working and kept showing the URL is not found on the server. Does anybody run into this situation and how do you resolve it?

Thanks,
Ben

In reply to Ben Huang

Re: url not found after updation

by Glenn Rice -

How did you update the webwork2 and pg code?  If you ran `git pull`, then you have actually upgraded the code to WeBWorK 2.18.  If you are doing that in the Amazon machine image, then you have a lot more to do to complete that upgrade.  I wouldn't recommend doing that in such a machine image.  If that is the case you should run "git checkout -b WeBWorK-2.17 WeBWorK-2.17+" in "/opt/webwork/webwork2 and "git checkout -b PG-2.17 PG-2.17+" in "/opt/webwork/pg" to get the latest of 2.17.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Ben Huang -
Hi Glenn,

Thank you for the reply. I did just run 'git pull origin' (following the installation manual).

I am rather new to git, and I just did some reading of the documents. I learned that 'git checkout -b' will create a branch. Does this command alone will get me the latest of 2.17?

Best,
Ben
In reply to Ben Huang

by Glenn Rice -

Yes, if you run the command I gave it will give you the last commit to webwork2 and pg for WeBWorK 2.17.  The WeBWorK-2.17+ and PG-2.17+ tags are what you are technically checking out.  I added those tags to the last commits of webwork2 and pg before I merged the 2.18 release.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Ben Huang -

Oh, I guess you mean I should run those two commands after I run 'git pull', correct? I actually launched a new instance on AWS and ran your commands, then things felt not quite right.

In reply to Ben Huang

by Glenn Rice -

You probably should run "git fetch" instead.  That will update git's references.  Then you can run the checkout commands.  "git pull" will work, but will actually pull the code changes which you don't need.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Ben Huang -

It works for me, Glenn. Thank you for the insight!

It's a little tricky for a beginner like me. Is there a place that you release this tag/branch thing publicly?

In reply to Ben Huang

by Glenn Rice -
You can list the tags by running "git tag". We always tag the initial release, and then the last commit before the next release. So the WeBWorK-2.17 and PG-2.17 tags in the respective repositories are the initial release of WeBWorK 2.17, and WeBWorK-2.17+ and PG-2.17+ are 2.17 plus all hot fixes. The tags go all the way back to version 2.6 of WeBWorK. We generally don't encourage using previous releases though.

It shouldn't be long until Arnold has an Amazon machine image ready for WeBWorK 2.18.