WeBWorK Main Forum

Email Instructor feature

Email Instructor feature

by Valerio De Angelis -
Number of replies: 0

We used to have WebWork installed on our own server on campus and all was fine. Then my university moved its entire network to the cloud, and we are now with AWS (Amazon Web Server). Last summer our IT staff re-installed the latest version of WebWork in the new environment, but they were never able to get the "Email Instructor" feature to work. As soon as the button is clicked, the error:

Failed to send message: invalid hosts in Email::Sender::Transport::SMTP constructor at /usr/share/perl5/Email/Sender/Transport/SMTP.pm line 76. 

appears. I then looked in the file inside /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/site.conf and found that the following line has been left blank:

$mail{smtpServer} = '';  # e.g. 'mail.yourschool.edu' or 'localhost'

I filled it with the address email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com (as one of the addresses that should work for AWS) and now after clicking the button the error 

Proxy Error The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request Reason: Error reading from remote server Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu) Server at webwork.xula.edu Port 443

appears after about one minute. I then tried various other addresses but they all produce the same error. I have searched extensively online but there does not seem to be any support for AWS, unless one pays consultants very large sums of money that are not possible for us. So I am looking for some other college or university who have WebWork installed on their network hosted by AWS, if any other exist...