WeBWorK Main Forum

ClassList info & LTI - what is possible?

ClassList info & LTI - what is possible?

by Zak Zarychta -
Number of replies: 1

Is it possible to customize the UsersList (CLasslist) heading to include extra fields?

Also, when the LTI interacts with BlackBoard which student information is it possible to be pass onto WeBWorK?

I ask because I have a taught module with 350 students on from various scientific disciplines and in future I wish to segregate the students by degree route and then hopefully set slightly different homeworks for them dependent on their scientific discipline.

The basic idea I have is that if BlackBoard can pass the degree route that each student is on to a WeBWorK CLassList field then I can manually filter the Classlist and assign/un-assign sets en masse to/from the students. Ideally, I'd like to assign homework sets automatically using this criteria if there is a way. However, I have a feeling that this is a bridge too far to an already speculative big ask.

Any help, guidance or 'facts of life' response greatly appreciated.

Zak

In reply to Zak Zarychta

Re: ClassList info & LTI - what is possible?

by Danny Glin -

Because of the way the database is structured it would involve editing the WeBWorK code to add additional columns to the Classlist.  If you're not already using the Section and Recitation columns for registration information you could put the degree route information into one of those.  Both of those are stored as text in the database, so you can put whatever information you want in them.

In terms of what information can be passed to WeBWorK from Blackboard, you can customize WeBWorK to accept anything that Blackboard sends.  Take a look at the modify_user code in the LTI configuration file (the name of this file depends on which version of WW you are running).  You can use that to take any parameter passed by Blackboard and store it in any column in the users table.