Installation

$external_auth=0 but still allow admin to log in with password?

$external_auth=0 but still allow admin to log in with password?

by Thomas Hoft -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all, 

Is it possible to (for a single course or the whole server) set $external_auth = 0 to force students (and instructors) to access webwork only via an LMS, but still allow the admin account to access courses via login/password? 

Thanks! - Thomas
In reply to Thomas Hoft

Re: $external_auth=0 but still allow admin to log in with password?

by Glenn Rice -

If I am interpreting your question correctly, the answer is no.  To clarify, I think that you mean you want the capability for a single course to be able to not allow password authentication for some users, but to allow password authentication for others.  That is impossible to even implement.  The login page does not know who is signing in.  So how can it allow password sign in for some, but not for others?

However, you can make sure that the users that you only want to be able to access the course via an LMS can not sign in with a password by not giving them a password, and setting the permission to allow a user to change their password high enough so that those users can not change their password.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Thomas Hoft -
Glenn,

Yes you're interpreting correctly. I guess I was thinking that when logged in as admin, clicking the link to a course from the course listing page at server.edu/webwork2/ could recognize that admin is doing the clicking...

I didn't know about the permission levels for settings! So I could set
$permissionLevels{change_password} = "ta"; # allow ta, professor, admin
or
$permissionLevels{change_password} = "admin"; # allow admin only
in either localOverrides.conf for site-wide or course.conf for course-specific, right?

Thanks! - Thomas
In reply to Thomas Hoft

by Thomas Hoft -
Tested in course.conf and it worked (duh) -- Thanks! - Thomas