WeBWorK Main Forum

WeBWorK Problem Not Allowing Student to Change Answer

WeBWorK Problem Not Allowing Student to Change Answer

by Kyle Schlitt -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

I have a student who has entered an answer to a problem, which was (correctly) graded as incorrect, but now they are unable to delete their answer and try something else.

I double-checked, and the problem is set up to allow unlimited attempts.

Is there a way I can erase their submission for just that one particular problem, and allow them to re-submit a new answer?

Best,
Kyle

In reply to Kyle Schlitt

Re: WeBWorK Problem Not Allowing Student to Change Answer

by Glenn Rice -

What is preventing the student from deleting the answer and entering something different?

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Kyle Schlitt -
The delete or backspace key has no effect at all -- the answer cannot be changed.
In reply to Kyle Schlitt

by Glenn Rice -

I am going to need some more information to help you.  Usually the delete and backspace key work.

What problem is this?  Is it from the OPL or a local problem?  If it is from the OPL, which problem is it?  If it is a local problem, can you post the source of the problem?

What seed does the student have for this problem?

Is MathQuill enabled?

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Kyle Schlitt -
When I originally made this post, I thought this might be normal behaviour for WeBWorK, due to some setting that I might have inadvertantly adjusted.  But you've pointed out that this is not the case.  Since this student is the only one who has brought the issue to me, I'm inclined to suspect it's an issue on their end.  I'll have them try on my machine either tomorrow or Tuesday, depending when I speak with them next.

For completeness, I'm still including the information you asked for:
  • It's a local problem, which I've included as an attachment.
  • I wasn't sure how exactly to check the seed for the student, but when I opened the problem editor while acting as them, the seed 136 was displayed, and generated the same problem as they have.  So for now I'll assume that this means it is their seed.
  • We've recently updated to 2.18, and yes, MathQuill is enabled.
In reply to Kyle Schlitt

by Alex Jordan -

Have you witnessed this firsthand? Are you able to see this by acting as that student and visiting the problem? I'm just asking in order to rule out that something is broken with the student's web browser and/or its extensions.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Kyle Schlitt -
I did witness it, yes, and tried it myself and experienced the same issue (on the student's machine). When I act as the student (on my own machine), I can change the answer to the correct response, and it is graded accordingly.  I'll have them try on a different machine tomorrow or Tuesday.
In reply to Kyle Schlitt

by Alex Jordan -

OK, then just spitballing but it could be some interference between MathQuill and some browser extension they have running. So another thing to try would be using a different browser on the same machine. Or running their browser in some sort of safe mode that disables extensions.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Kyle Schlitt -
When the student tried on a school device, the problem was solved. So this turned out to be a non-issue (as far as the WeBWorK side of things). I can't confirm whether it was a browser issue specifically, but it was something to do with an issue on the student's machine.

Alex and Glenn: thanks for your clarification!