WeBWorK Main Forum

Upgrade from 2.17 to 2.18: Unknown server communication error.

Upgrade from 2.17 to 2.18: Unknown server communication error.

by Wai Yan Pong -
Number of replies: 2

I have just upgraded from WW 2.17 to WW 2.18 on my local machine following the instruction given in the Upgrade Notes.

Things seems to be working fine: I can rending the problems of my existing courses. However, when I get the the Library Browser, I got

/webwork2/instructor_rpc

Unknown server communication error.

And when I click "View Problems" I got

Unexpected token '<', "

(see attached screenshot)

Any suggestion?

----------------------------------------------------------------------Render issue

In reply to Wai Yan Pong

Re: Upgrade from 2.17 to 2.18: Unknown server communication error.

by Glenn Rice -
There are a couple of things to check. First check that you don't have any local modifications that are interfering. For this run "git status" in the "/opt/webwork/webwork2" and "/opt/webwork/pg" directories. In both directories it should show

On branch main
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'

If it shows "Your branch and "origin/main" have diverged" or something like that, then you have local modifications.  If it shows "Changes not staged for commit:" and lists files below, then you also have local modifications.  You can ignore "Untracked files" if that shows up.  If you have local modifications, then you need to revert any of those.

If you don't have local modifications, then try running "npm ci" from the /opt/webwork/webwork2/htdocs and /opt/webwork2/pg/htdocs directories, and then restart the webwork2 app with "sudo systemctl restart webwork2".  Then see if the problem is resolved.
In reply to Glenn Rice

Re: Upgrade from 2.17 to 2.18: Unknown server communication error.

by Wai Yan Pong -

Hi Glenn,

git status in /opt/webwork/webwork2 shows

Changes to be committed:

(use "git restore --staged <file>..." to unstage)

deleted:    conf/localOverrides.conf.dist

deleted:    conf/site.conf.dist

new file:   htdocs/themes/math4/math4-coloring.css

and no problem in /opt/webwork/pg

I surely deleted those conf.dist file, because I accidentally modified them instead of the local conf files and saved them as conf (without the .dist)

What should I do then?

Thanks