WeBWorK Main Forum

Splitting *.tgz files

Splitting *.tgz files

by Tim Payer -
Number of replies: 2

Hello All,

I was hoping that the Webwork community could help me split a *.tgz file.

All the instructions I see for this are on Linux, which I am foreign to.

Can we manage this in the file manager within Webwork?

The original *.tgz file is 27,000 KB, and this is fine to manage with my office computer on Campus.

But my home computer can just barely manage loading a *.tgz file of 10,000 KB.

Unfortunately, Our  HSU campus is on lockdown due to Admin reactions to student protest over Gaza.

All instructors are now reverting to their Zoom instruction modes learned over Covid.

Unfortunately I can not send the file due to the 500KB limit.

Best, Tim

In reply to Tim Payer

Re: Splitting *.tgz files

by Danny Glin -

I'm assuming that this is not a WeBWorK archive file since they are generated with the .tar.gz extension rather than .tgz.

If all you want to do is extract the contents of the archive, it looks like the tar command is now standard in the windows command prompt.  From the command prompt:

cd [folder containing the .tgz file]

tar xvf [name-of-file].tgz

This will extract all files from the archive into the directory where the archive resides.

If this doesn't solve your problem please post some more details on exactly what you are trying to do.

In reply to Danny Glin

Re: Splitting *.tgz files

by Tim Payer -
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply,
It was a Webwork Archive file. And the archive file I have do use the extension file.tgz
Regardless a friend helped me by downloading ubuntu on my home computer and using Linux code to extract the files I wanted.
We did try Windows Power shell, but could not get that to work. Most likely our syntax was wrong.

Thanks for the reply.

best, Tim